how to avoid multi items listings

Annoyed at sellers abusing multi item listings by adding some non related item for a dollar, so now cant find a competitive price for item that you want with out going into every listing. Major FAIL

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Hi colhig75

You aren't the only one who is unhappy with this behaviour. There are several other threads where people have discussed this very practice.

About the only two things we can do is boycott that seller and not buy anything from then and/or report them.

For those sorts of listings there are a few reporting options. The very first one I would suggest is:

Listing practices> Search and Browse Manipulation> Other search and browse manipulation (The listing inappropriately draws attention or diverts members to a listing)

Sometimes, they can also be done for wrong category:

Listing practices> Search and Browse Manipulation> Listing in an incorrect category (The listing is in a category that doesn't represent the item being sold or it's outside of the appropriate category)

The one most likely to be looked at is avoiding fees:

Listing practices> Avoiding eBay fees> Offering choices (The listing has different brands of an item, a choice between two entirely different items, or items that aren't in similar condition)

Depending on exactly what is happeing in the listing there are even more things one ad can be reported on.

I hope you find what you are looking for at a good and fair price!

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

You can also refine your searches a little to help stop the irrelevant or lower priced items from showing in search results. For example, if there is a particular item (or items) that are commonly being used as the $1 "bait" add a -[keyword] to the search terms; gloves and stockings are the most common item in listings like that for dresses, so to avoid them I can search for blue dress -gloves -stockings.

If the general price range for the item you're searching for is above the bait price, you can also use the price range to eliminate all items below a certain amount. I usually select to only show items above $2.00. 

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

I am mostly a seller and it annoys me too as it directly effects whether a buyer can find my products or not. Please do report it when you see it. Ebay can't act unless they know about it.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I report every selling I see who uses those type of tricks, multi varient listings are a godsend for sellers and I for one do not like sellers who abuse the system and perhaps stop prospective buyers from looking at my listings.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

This is happening to almost every search I make now - it's impossible to find an item that's legitimately listed without trawling through hundreds of scam 'option' listings.

I think it should be banned, as it makes for a terrible experience for buyers. I've reported this several times to ebay with highly detailed letters (AND reported using the report function), and they assured me they'd do something about it, but still no change - the SAME sellers, flogging the same **bleep** '$1' items (which when you select the real item in the description - it costs a sh*&load!). They're even in Australia, and this clearly breaches trade practices law...

Absolute **bleep** - poor form ebay - pls fix what used to be a great site.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

This **bleep** me off so much, so many times I buy something think it was only $1, then end up paying $5 or asking for cancellation. This essentially makes sorting by prices useless.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Yes, it can be quite frustrating.... 

But, did you know that the price changes on the listing when you select a specific variation, so before you click the 'buy it now' button? To avoid getting caught out, I suggest watching out for that. 😉

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

This annoys me no end as it is being abused. The method is not always listing an unrelated cheap item. I don't buy from these sellers. What really creams my corn, is when they list similar items and also the one that you want, but mark that as "out-of-stock".

The first 10 listings for items I was looking for were out of stock, though the listing title clearly specified it... like you are looking for a brass douche, you get heaps of results but invariable the "brass" option is out of stock and only the stainless steel one is there... such a waste of our time... 

I just gave up, searched on google and bought it direct from a supplier

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

"What really creams my corn" is topics the best part of a decade old that get dragged back up out of the depths because people don't check posting dates.

The member you replied to is long gone - they were long gone nearly six years ago.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply