incorrect item sent

my son purchased an electronic item from USA (paid around $300) they sent a different model which they also sell but it is significantly cheaper.  He has put in a item not as described and he paid with paypal, but I notice on their ebay site they say returns to be paid by the buyer (if item not as described).  How can that be fair when it's their fault?

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

incorrect item sent

How can that be fair when it's their fault?

It's not particularly fair, and the majority of good sellers wouldn't let a buyer be out of pocket for a mistake they (the seller) made, but at the same time there's nothing you can do to oblige or force the seller to foot the bill and is one of the things recommended to keep in mind when buying from overseas.

Has there been any communication with the seller at all? It's definitely recommended to talk directly to the seller to see if the issue can be resolved before any dipsutes etc.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

incorrect item sent

just make sure when you do return it that it is by a service recommended by paypal, which usually means tracked and signed for, which is not cheap. Keep your paperwork too, as paypal will want to see it before they issue the refund.

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

incorrect item sent

It isn't fair however imagine if every buyer could return items knowing that the return postage would be paid for them?

Some would buy, try and return and it would become a nightmare.

So it has gone to the far extreme and now is pretty unfair for buyers.

Lets hope your seller refunds the return posatge and maybe you son should ask the seller to pay for the return postage. They can only say yes or no.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

incorrect item sent

Your son will receive the cost of the item and original postage cost if he wins the dispute. Unfortunately it's up to the seller if he reimburses him for return postage. Make sure it's sent via Registered Post. He will need to give Paypal the tracking number.

TCT
Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

incorrect item sent

It isn't fair however imagine if every buyer could return items knowing that the return postage would be paid for them?

Some would buy, try and return and it would become a nightmare.

So it has gone to the far extreme and now is pretty unfair for buyers.

Lets hope your seller refunds the return posatge and maybe you son should ask the seller to pay for the return postage. They can only say yes or no.

I get that, but this case is entirely different, they have various models they sell and they have sent me the wrong model, no fault at all of my sons, he did not change his mind so it is all their fault.  They should pay for everything.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

incorrect item sent

I get that, but this case is entirely different, they have various models they sell and they have sent me the wrong model, no fault at all of my sons, he did not change his mind so it is all their fault.  They should pay for everything.

Nobody is suggesting it is your fault, but eBay and PP cannot get involved in deciding who is in fault;  it would be very time consuming, labour intensive and therefore expensive.  eBay is just an advertising medium and PP money transfer service.   When buying items from O/S that is the risk you take; if something goes wrong you will have to pay for return postage, unless the seller will refund the postage voluntarily.  Remember, they will have to pay to post the replacement, if that is what you want, or PP will refund you the whole ammount you paid, including the postage (wehich the seller paid).  So each of you will be out of pocket for postage one way.
if I was you, I would not be asking for replacement, I would not trust the seller, and if it arrives close to the 45 days PP cut off date and something goes wrong you will have no comeback.  Unless you paid with your CC, but they will also demand you send the item back at your expense.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

incorrect item sent

The easilest solution to this is to decide on the value of partial refund that would be acceptable.

That needs to be the difference in value of the 2 items... But you also need to consider the cost of return postage.

So, if the difference was $100 - then just ask for part refund, and keep the item. You are then in front by the value of the return postage. And remember - the seller ALSO loses if you return the item, because they must refund the original postage.

So if you take it a Paypal Claim, the seller loses on the postage one way, and the buyer loses the postage on the return. That means it's a Lose <> Lose.

The seller should usually accept a reasonable partial refund request. Don't be greedy, make it a price that's worth it for both of you.

EG in the dispute white something like this (not perfect, just an idea...

The item that I received is worth $100 less to me than the item that I ordered. To comply with Paypal requirements, return shipping will cost me $80. If I return the item, the seller will lose the original postage costs, which are about $50.

To save myself $80 and the seller $50, I propose a partial refund of $150 would be fair. This will not leave the seller in a worse position than if I return the item for a full refund. The savings that I make from n ot having to pay for the return will subsidise my time and costs to resell the incorrectly supplied item.

If you word it cleverly, the situation can be made so that you don't lose. But if you stick to your guns, you will certainly lose the cost of return postage... and that will be heaps.

ONLY once this deal is agreed upon, then escalatate the dispute. If you escalate without the partial refund, then Paypal will force you to return the item. Also, make sure that you know and quote and explain the cost of return postage BEFORE you escalate. Your objective to to have Paypal read that you are being reasonable, and to recommend to the seller that what you are offering is a good thing for them to accept.

Sorry if I have made this explanation messy, it's hard to explain.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

incorrect item sent

thanks t3c, I'll look into doing that.  At the moment they are asking me to send a blueprint of the parcel????  measurements and product.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

incorrect item sent

What a strange request. You can send a photo to the email address that they use for Paypal.

TCT
Message 10 of 32
Latest reply