is it possible to get cheaper postage from the states to New Zealand??

I love Ebay theres allways neat products

I do get confused how ever as some postage from the states will be says NZ $25 or so some $170 or so ..this is just a ball park amount Im using

Is ther any possibilty postage could be cheaper??

I know it wont be super cheap and say $20 to $25 NZ dosnt worry me but when you see something awesome and postage is $100 or more its depressing ๐Ÿ˜ž

Ange

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Like every country the United States has various levels of postage/delivery services.

If the seller is using the USPS (United States Postal Service) you will find that the postage is as cheap as any service.  Having said that some of their services are a lot cheaper than others.

First Class International is the cheapest but some sellers will not use it as it is slower and does not have the same level of seller protection as the more expensive services.    It also has weight and dimensions limits. 

Once you get up to Priority International or Express International you are looking at very big $$$ but they do have full tracking and insurance to cover the seller.

A lot of US sellers are now using the GPS service which is horrendously expensive and very slow.  It is a courier service which is by far the easiest for the US seller, many of whom have no idea how expensive it is for international customers.  It gives full tracking and insurance and protects the seller from bad feedback in relation to the time and cost of delivery.

As the GSP is couriered direct to Australia I am not sure what would happen with mail to NZ....perhaps the seller cannot use that service to send to you in NZ.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@021cougar wrote:

I do get confused how ever as some postage from the states will be says NZ $25 or so some $170 or so ..this is just a ball park amount Im using

I know it wont be super cheap and say $20 to $25 NZ dosnt worry me but when you see something awesome and postage is $100 or more its depressing ๐Ÿ˜ž

Ange

I assume you mean the United States and not NSW, Qld or Vic.  It certainly sounds like a USA thing.

The sellers with the high postage costs may be using the Global Shipping Program through Pitney Bowes.  This GSP is notorious for high costs.  There are some things you can do to try to get a reduced shipping cost.  These include, but are not limited to:

- contacting the seller and asking them to include the item dimensions and weight into their item listing

- messaging the seller to ask them if they are willing to ship by non-GSP methods due to the high costs to you the buyer. They would need to opt-out of the GSP for that listing.

- having the item shipped domestically within the USA to someone you know there who can then forward the item to you at a lower cost than the GSP as the GSP is only used for international shipping.

You would need to try these before bidding/buying as once the listing comes to an end the seller is locked into using the GSP.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Also, if the seller is using The Global Shipping Programme, you can ask

them, very nicely, to opt out of it. 

Some may, others won't because of the protection they get.

To opt out of the GSP, US sellers only have to go into

(My eBay summary page)

account > site preferences > shipping preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Program > edit > no

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@021cougar wrote:

Ange

$20 to $25 sounds like USPS 1st Class International (though depending on the size and weight of the items it can go lower).  There are US sellers out there that still think it is unsafe compared to the GSP.  Unfortunately.

If you buy small lightweight not so expensive items then USPS 1st Class Int is definitely the way to go.  If US Sellers lodge postage and print labels electronically they get a better weight allowance than doing 1st Class Int over the counter.  Also they can access E-DELCON (Electronic Delivery Confirmation) at no extra cost.  It is only to selected countries but Oz and NZ and on the list and it means your purchase can be tracked (I'm following the progress of one at the moment...it's arrived in Oz and hopefully delivery will be in a few days).

Along with the opt out of GSP link another poster provided you might like to suggest this one USPS 1st Class International - https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply