it it safe to buy a fridge

with  all the damage of the crispers ....that.. i have been  reading about....is  it safe to do this  ?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Of course it is.

As long as you pay cash on pickup, and inspect before payment.

I assume that's what you're asking.

Or are you asking about 2nd hand fridges being 'posted' for several hundred dollars in freight(what it would cost to post a fridge)?

Is your concern real?

I doubt it.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

thanks for the advice

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

You're welcome. You seem to be an experienced member, and a habitual inhabitant of the boards, so why the newbie question?

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Crispers would be the least of your worries. lol

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

All the damage of the crispers you have been reading about?

on the forum at least, there has been one person recently (a crisper on it’s own, not a fridge) who opened about four threads for the same crisper

Hardly a common thing that happens

Obviously the person picking up the fridge would be checking it properly and throughly before taken it home

Or do a 4 point inspection at least 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Appliances Online has new fridges at an affordable price + free delivery (and free disposal of the old appliance). That's where I bought mine a few years ago at least.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@dvd.horder wrote:

with  all the damage of the crispers ....that.. i have been  reading about....is  it safe to do this  ?

I presume you mean on ebay?

What's 'all this damage to the cripsers' that you are talking about?

If you buy on ebay from a reputable store, then it should be safe because after all, even if you buy in store a fridge is usually delivered., No difference.

If you're asking about buying a second hand fridge, then I'm with domino on this one-crispers are the least of your worries.

You'd need to examine and pick up in person and if it looked damaged or otherwise not as good as you were expecting, just don't pay, walk away. I did that once over a cheaper item than a fridge and never regretted it.

Personally, I'd be thinking long and hard about what you buy and what it is for. If you're after a fridge for the kitchen, I'd be inclined to consider new because last time I bought froma  store, the man was telling me a lot of the new fridges-even those worth thousands of dollars-are not giving the sort of life you would have expected in the past eg 15-20 years. He said he had heard of a lot of them giving trouble after as little as 5 years.

So if you're looking at a second hand fridge that is maybe 5 years old, it might not be such a great deal.

If you're just looking for a spare fridge, then you could look on local marketplace (FB) and read ads carefully. Sometimes people have genuine reasons for selling.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

It's not only the fridges I think, springy. All old appliances lasted longer, I have heard...

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I bought a new fridge last year. I got it from Hardly Normal. Ordinarily, I'd have bought from Appliances Online, but Hardly Normal had a sale on at the time. If I'd bought from Appliances Online, they would have offered to take the old one away, but that one is now buzzing away in the shed.

I would never buy a fridge on ebay. I'd never buy anything like it on ebay. If you are willing to risk second hand, maybe, but definitely not brand new.

By local, or Appliances Online.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply