legal or illegal ?

ytwo000
Community Member
 quite a few listed (17 at this point in time) by same seller. This stuff legal ? I would of thought not ?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

legal or illegal ?

These seeds are from an internatinal seller, places where buying tobacco seed is legal. It is illegal to import them into Australia and will be confiscated by customs if anyone tries.

Importing something illegal means that you have no claim on the seller if it is caught doesn't arrive and you will lose your money, as well as a slap on the hand by customs.

Latest reply

legal or illegal ?

Seller is in Australia as they state in description... "due to ebay policies i am selling on the U.S site but i reside in australia and ship from my home in australia"...Sneaky way to sell illegal items from Australia on ebay.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

legal or illegal ?

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't go into the listing.

Yes, it is illegal but I guess that selling tobacco seeds will become more prevalent due to how expensive smokes are getting.

You can report the listings using the link on the listing page.

Latest reply

legal or illegal ?

esayaf
Community Member
Actually you will find the seeds are not illegal. What is illegal is growing tobacco with a licence.
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

legal or illegal ?

esayaf
Community Member
With out, not with
Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

legal or illegal ?

esayaf
Community Member
Years ago a friend of mine was selling tobacco seeds in the local paper and they then came and interviewed him and made it a front page story. They did mention that sale and possession of the seeds was fine but growing the plant was illegal. This is in Victoria other states may have different laes
Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

legal or illegal ?

Yes, I was wrong, I have just searched tobacco laws and found that you can buy and sell tobacco seed anywhere in Australia but it illegal to grow tobacco anywhere in Australia without a license, even for personal use - and licenses are not given to home growers.

Latest reply

legal or illegal ?

And it's a license granted by the ATO _ once those boys notice you, they keep noticing you.....

Marina.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

legal or illegal ?

Owning and buying local seeds is legal.

Growing the seeds is not legal.

However if the seeds are coming from overseas, it is illegal to import as they may carry diseases, irrespective of whether they can be grown or not.

image host
Message 10 of 27
Latest reply