paypal double charging me

Hi, Does anyone have this happen to them?

Example:

1)Purchase an item and pay with funds Avaliable in paypal account,

2) Recieve Item from Seller 4 days later

3) ON day 5 or 6 after purchase Recieve EMAIL from Paypal Saying there is insufficient funds or a negative balance in my paypal account to cover the item I purchased and recieved 2 days earlier

4) Then they Deduct payment from a linked credit card to cover the same item again.

I have just discovered this has happend to me Numeroues Times adding upto several hundred $$$ where paypalhave taken money twice even though when initail transactions were made i had funds in my paypal account, my Credit card is my backup source.

I have contacted paypal and are awaiting a responce

Has anybody had this happen?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You need to ring them....you will wait forever if you email them.

I have never had anything like that happen as I don't keep any funds in paypal and fund everything with a debit card.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

This once happened to me and the payment was doubled. I contacted paypal and they were at the time experiencing problems with payments doubling. The payment was reversed.

If they cannot rectify it, I would contact your bank. When this happened to me, the bank was aware of the error.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

HI.

Thanks for your replies, here is how the double payments are happening!

Original payment 30th Dec  From my Paypal Credit $13.95 funds cleared and paid to seller and  Recieve Item in post

Then 4th Jan another Charge from Credit card $13.95 for same item along with Email from paypal saying insufficent funds for in my paypal account for item Paid for and Recieved already so I HAVE PAID FOR SAME ITEM TWICE.

CONTACTED SELLER WHO REPLIED TO ME TODAY "" Ebay reported to me that payment was received so I sent the book(Which I always do). I dont usually check them because they are always there...but your is not.""

And they have no record of recieving either payment from me.

I have found so far 20 payments in the last 4 months so far that Paypal have charged me Double the amount, so far amounting to OVER $500 BEING OVER PAID BY ME.

If you are a buyer beware and check your paypal and any linked accounts to make sure you havent been double Charged, Particually if you get Email from paypal days after transaction saying you didnt have fund available when I did.

I went to bank today and have to dispute all extra payments what a nightmare and i still have to Tackle paypal to reclaim money.

Not forgetting Seller of item in Attachment has not recieved any money at all.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

If you have insufficient funds in your paypal account then paypal always takes it from your alternate funding source.

How could you possibly just keep paying when you don't have the funds?   How could you possible rack up $500 worth of overpayments without looking into it before now.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Before doing anything through your bank you might be better off talking to paypal.

The transaction in the attachment has not used paypal funds.....it was a failed transfer of funds from your bank account that was then taken from your credit card.   That explains why it took several days for paypal to notify you that the payment had failed.

Often if there are insufficient funds in your bank account paypal will try again and you will get bank fees for an overdrawn account.

You really need to be sure of what funds are in your accounts before paying for anything.   How could you have overpaid $500 without noticing?

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

looks to me like others have said you didn't have the funds in there for the first attempt so then they tried again from another source. I don't think you have been charged twice at all. The first transaction says failed.
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

No if you look and see the first transaction was paid and completed on 30th december then 4th jan payment was taken again.

Also as the seller stated they did not recieve any payment at all

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

on 30th december paypal show transaction completed with funds from paypal account

4th january funds taken from account

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply