5 REPLIES 5

paypal protection for the buyer with item not as described - dispute query

cq_tech
Community Member
And your question is ... ?
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

sorry hit the wrong button and options drop down not working to edit. I bought items using paypal - NOT from ebay. I was promised 145 mags, "less than 10" were a certain subject. what arrived was 1970s instead of 1960s / 70s description...and one poster in the less than 10 subject. They could only be optimistically described as good when seller described them as excellent but not much I can do about that. I smsed them and emailed them. Of course no response. so have opened a dispute for a small refund compensation as I wouldn't have bought them if they were described honestly. My question if the seller ignores my dispute...and I esculate the claim - and say its found in my favour, do I need to pay return post with tracking signature........as in I lose out anyway? My point being If they ignore my initial request I've basically been ripped off?
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Do you have to pay postage to return the items if requested? Yes

https://www.paypal.com/sg/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#7
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Depends on the price you paid, the price to return them with tracked post and addressee proof and if seller was an Australian business.

If the seller is an Australian Business (and not a private hobby or personal seller) Australian Consumer Law makes provision for consumers not having to foot the bill for post if the cost is disproportionate to the cost of the goods purchased.  The goods revert to seller ownership on refund, and they become their responsibility to collect or send post product for return - nothing you never get to just keep them, unless the seller agrees to this.

Regardless of Paypal policy, Paypal must abide my the Oz consumer law in all matters where goods have been described in a misleading way and/or are faulty.

If this fits your situation, when escalating to a dispute I would include an uploaded quote for returning by tracked post, and explicitly seek non return of goods due to cost.

if this does not fit your situation, my commiserations, there is not really an out to having to return to seller.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

thanks cats pjs, that helps - I knew I was likely needing to return to seller but at my cost it makes it more my bad luck.  no not a business another internet site where the seller obv just wanted the $$  .  in fact if I hadn't paid paypal I may not have got my items at all.  thanks for your responses.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply