postage details on sellers items what company they used to send

belmp
Community Member

Why don't sellers display the information in what company they use to send an item, such if its australia post or through a courier company, like fastway, toll, tnt and many more,

As its hard for buyers to know who they are using, because for buyers who live out of town, no courier company will delivery, or even call to let you know they have the item.

Ebay should make sure sellers need to make clear to buyers, if they either use australian post or courier company for sending items, and the seller should display on the sales item what the courier company names is, so you know before hand before buying, and sellers should notify buyers when they use a courier company,

AS have had this problem 5 times, when buying, all the sellers states is it being sent standard postage, but then only to discover after 4 days of waiting the sellers had used a courier company, and the sellars never put a phone number on the item so the courier company never calls

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Where do I find this information in your listings.  Become a trend setter and start including this, plus any other terms and conditions you might wish to specify, in the description field of your listings.  Quite often this sort of info is included by sellers, usually in Big Colourful templates that no one tends to read.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

If sellers are sending by courier then the chances are they'll be using a courier broker, and thus wouldn't know if that broker is using Fastway, TNT or Startrack etc, because the courier used would depend on the buyers location and / or the cheapest company.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

What sellers "should" do, and what sellers can do aren't always the same thing, especially on eBay.

Along with what's already been stated, some sellers don't decide upon the carrier to use until the buyer has purchased, based on the item and the location it's going to.

Some sellers prefer to have uniform postage options even if they don't use the same postage services for every order because that's the only way eBay will allow combined postage (standard delivery is one of the only non-specific options, and having it on all items allows automatic combined postage. If they had freight, the other non-specific but clearly courier option, buyers would need to buy then wait for an invoice, and they would appear last or well down the list in many search orders). 

Some sellers don't put phone numbers or email addresses on parcels because they know that in some cases, that means the buyer can redirect the parcel, and that puts them at risk. 

Sellers are between a rock and a hard place a lot of time, and have to choose between making things easier for themselves (which usually tends to be making things easier for the majority of their buyers), or making things easier for the minority of their buyers. It's a smart business decision to choose the former. 

That being said, a quick line in descriptions about the possibility of a courier being used, at least, could make everyone's life easier, too. I know I have in big, bold writing at the top of every single one of my listings about postage services I can't provide (that is, I can't send to parcel locker / parcel collect addresses), sadly I also know that almost no one reads it. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I'm having the same problem , seller states Australia post parcel service , then ships via fastway wh wont deliver to address or post office. This is compounded by fastway/ Aramex picking up deliveries when they know they do not deliver to the address, this is fraud!!!! 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Well I'm a buyer who DOES read all info the seller will put about postage/delivery options.  The problem is many of them don't put what they mean when frankly they can.  There are sellers out there who take the trouble to specify details (so I know it is possible) but I suspect some especially experienced sellers are plain bone lazy.

Aside from the old 'Standard Postage' option meaning Aust Post, Couriers, Freight and God knows what else, sometimes I can't tell what kind of Aust Post service they mean - actual standard, postage with tracking....or signature required.  So frustrating.

I would buy more local stuff on eBay if clear info is available at the point of sale.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Not all sellers use brokers. None of them will disclose their cheap low quality shipping partners that they use to save money because they know customers will avoid them like the plague.

I usually leave a negative review if they've used "hunter express" or "couriers please" and look out for them in seller reviews.
Both of these companies have had a 90% issue rate with all my orders over the past decade. The most comical one with couriers please delivering a parcel after 1 year.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply