return postage for paypal snad claim

If i make a not as described paypal claim, do i have to post the item back to the sender at my expense? I have been fortunate enough
that i've never had to open a dispute for that reason because the seller has voluntarily given me a refund the handful of times items were snad. I've only claimed for non receipt, same with my selling, never had any snad claims against me, hence why i am asking here.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: return postage for paypal snad claim

@kewl_stuff_oz wrote:

Obviously spoken from the perspective of a seller only. Thats really hilarious that you think buyers should be responsible for paying towards the cost of the possible parking fine, and i suppose it should include speeding tickets in the handling costs as well?? GET REAL! Oh & i forgot, the cost of an umbrella & raincoat if its raining!

You know the cost upfront. Sellers are legitimately allowed to add reasonable costs to the postage, including, but not limited to, packaging materials, time taken to pick and pack, extra postage options. If the item was sent as a letter, was it registered? This does not show on the stamp, but it is $3.20.

Get real - the time to query postage is BEFORE buying, not afterwards.

And Paypal's rules are simple - if you have to return the item, you pay for return postage.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

And Paypal's rules are simple - if you have to return the item, you pay for return postage.

There is also the oportunity to leave neg feedback if the seller makes you pay for the return of not as described goods. If you don't want the risk of having to pay for return postage then buy from sellers who state in their returns policy that they will cover the cost of return goods under those circumstances, there are quite a lot of us.

As for postage unless the seller is charging an outrageous amount far outweighing the cost of the item they are not doing anything wrong, I would guess that the average packaging and handling charge is one to two dollars but some sellers, especially those who earn their living from selling, value their time at a much higher rate so by the time you add up the time it takes to find the item, package it and prepare the label or write the address they can charge the correct percent of their hourly rate.

You also have no business questioning a seller about their delivery costs after you have purchased, that should be done before, once you buy you have accepted whatever the charge is.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Can anyone confirm if a seller can increase the postage charges in the invoice once the auction has ended?

davewil yes it was sent registered, I already stated it was sent with sod which is included in the registered letter fee of $3.50, not $3.20 as you stated. And i have done the sums & stated the costs, however it looks like i got it wrong the first time, their handling fee after paying actual postage costs & cost of tough bag was $6.60 (so i was out by 55 cents).

phorum imho a $6.60 handling charge is an outrageous amount but we all have different ideas of what is reasonable or not so agree to disagree on that one. I feel it is very much my business to question a seller about postage charges even after bidding. As i already said, some sellers simply do not realize there is a cheaper way of sending it, also some have used ebays postage calculator which does not have an option for large letters. I could not be certain with this seller as they had no terms in their listing, simply the postage cost in the postage section.

Either way, it does not justify the seller being downright rude & obnoxious.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

also forgot to say this was a collectible magazine not available from other sellers at this time, so no other options there.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, postage charges can be increased after sale on an invoice which then updates eBay with the amount due.

However postage charges can not be changed on the actual ended eBay listing - so you can double check that the charges have not changed by clicking onto the original listing in your purchase list.

Loathe sellers that load up post with "handling" costs where it serves to double or triple the price of actual post and packaging.

eBays excessive post and handling charge is below -

Specify postage costs in your listings. It's against our rules to provide unclear or misleading postage information, or to have unreasonable postage charges.

Allowed

• Charging actual postage costs

• Including the cost of packaging materials, insurance costs and delivery

• Including delivery confirmation or similar extra services in the handling cost

Not allowed

• Excessive postage and handling charges

• Charging a separate fee for insurance

• Charging for business-related fees such as employee wages, mileage or storage costs

• Including contradictory or confusing postage terms in your listing

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

thanks thecatspjs, looks like i saw it wrong & really do need new glasses, it was $13.50 after all. I probably also had that in my mind as its closer to what i'd expect to pay for postage on a magazine.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Everything is about perception. If you are provided with a total price as per ebays badly worded "free post", Then there is no arguing the toss about how much it costs to post, no decrepencies between estimated cost and actual, (sometimes items do pack lighter and smaller than you expected).

Nobody likes to receive something with obviously lower postage cost than was stipulated, even if you are aware of it and have accepted it, the perception is bad which ever way you look at it.

Customised postage is far more labour intensive than broad brush flat rates for everything. Flate rates means items are not even measure/weighed prior to listing.

Whether you have to pay return post or not for SNAD sometimes comes down to diplomacy. Sometimes you just have to suck it up, thats what happens in the commercial world.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

This is true lane-ends & you have now started to change my mind on the free postage thing, i was previously competely against it, but if it makes buyers perceive they're getting some sort of bargain/good deal AND it makes my items go higher up the search results, maybe its worth while. Thats if i bother selling much anymore, its hardly been worth it for last 6 months.

Anyway the latest is i went thru paypal asking for a partial refund of $15 because there were still some good articles in the magazine but it had some pages with a major article missing which makes it lower in value, plus i would be getting some of the postage fees back. So i thought they might be happier with that anyway & then i dont have to send it back either.

They have just sent it thru & msged me on ebay saying 'done it, please do not bother me again, more important things in life with a dying relative than missing pages'. To be honest my first reaction is of anger because its probably a load of bull dust, why would someone want the potential hassles associated with selling as a hobby on ebay if dealing with that??

Feels like they're just trying to play on my sympathies & make me feel bad, if they're lying it really is pathetic! i may as well ignore them but feel like sending them a nasty reply. For someone who wants to be left alone they're not going about it very smartly.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply