return postage for paypal snad claim

If i make a not as described paypal claim, do i have to post the item back to the sender at my expense? I have been fortunate enough
that i've never had to open a dispute for that reason because the seller has voluntarily given me a refund the handful of times items were snad. I've only claimed for non receipt, same with my selling, never had any snad claims against me, hence why i am asking here.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

More than likely.

Very occasiobnally, you may be able to ask PayPal for an exclusion due to the return post being cost prohibitive.

But the standard rule is if PayPal decides in your favour that they will direct you to return the item by a trackable means of post at your expense, and then once delivered they will refund you the original price and post paid, but not the return post

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

doh! I did actually tell the seller it was damaged & they offered a refund if i post it back to them, but quite honestly, i don't trust them. It would have been obvious the item was damaged before they posted it had they bothered to check.

Not only that they also charged me double the actual postage cost even including the cost of a tough bag & when i questioned them about this they were very rude about it. I asked if they would pay my postage charges to return it but no answer yet. So i would have rather have made the claim & leave them negative fb & not be out of pocket, oh well ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

to be fair, if they used a tough bag, they have a right to charge fior it

they can include all packaging etc in the postage price if they want, not just the actual cost of post.

BUT - NEVER, EVER return anything without the cover and direction of PayPal. Even if it is the Pope!

You may return the item, then they don't refund you, and then it is too late in almost all cases.

and, I know you didn't ask for advice on this, but IMO, if the seller offered you a refund right away without any cajoling etc, I dfon't think he deserves a negative - he tried to make things right by the looks. If you queried his postage costs he probably has his back up a bit, so you could maybe use the DSRs etc for post cost and ciommunication.

BUT if he did try to rectify, then well - there are a lot of really horrid sellers out there far worse than that, so maybe think of that eh?

you did the right thing though by not returning it out of PayPal, but that is your choice, noit the sellers iykwim.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

meant to say, best of luck with it all, and I bet once your seller has slept on it, he'll be better tomorrow.

Just remember the 45 day limit for a PayPal claim if you go down that route.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Maybe i didn't word it properly, their total actual post cost INCLUDING the cost of a tough bag was half what they charged me.

Agreed it would get their back up but that doesn't justify blatant postage rip offs, i also pointed out to them it would be cheaper to send it as a large letter with sod for their protection. Usually sellers are grateful i've told them about a cheaper postage method they didn't know about & are willing to negotiate the charge even after the auction end. But not this guy, he lectured me with statements like 'i hate buyers like you who try & waste my time over the holidays' etc, not really caring if he's wasting my money.

But heres the bit that really annoyed the hell outta me, he ended up sending it the cheaper way i suggested anyway but not refunding the difference, not even part there of! So he charged a $7.15 handling fee, even if he sent it on a single trip to the po (in suburban Melbourne), which i doubt, petrol doesn't cost that much! Even taking out his paypal fees & cost of ink usage to address it he would still be ahead!

anyway thanks for the good wishes

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

First of all, I am so sorry and so embarrassed.

I just saw your FB score and realize that you probably know the PayPal limit and appropriate feedback guidelines etc

so please accept my apologies for that.

and i agree, postage pirates give me the irrits - it really sticks in my neck. even if it is a few dollars. I never say anything, cos I know the price before I buy, but it does kinda not make the deal as sweet iykwim

I was about to say how sometimes people don't want help etc cos they think they know it all, so now i just want to say how gracefully you accepted my unsoliceted advice LOL. You could have got cross at me, but i was just trying to help in case you didn't know.

I do hope it all works out ok for you. and if you have to return that you're not out of pocket too much. At least if you do return, it will be cheaper than what he charged you. and you will get the original post amount back.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Petrol to the post office? Parking ticket? Time spent packing and then lodging the item over the counter?

It is very clear on eBay that you are not paying postage but a "postage and handling" charge and if you thought the charge to be excessive, then you should not have purchased the item...
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Obviously spoken from the perspective of a seller only. Thats really hilarious that you think buyers should be responsible for paying towards the cost of the possible parking fine, and i suppose it should include speeding tickets in the handling costs as well?? GET REAL! Oh & i forgot, the cost of an umbrella & raincoat if its raining!

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

crikey there is no need to apologize really, you have been quite reasonable & friendly in your advice giving which is more than i can say about some of the posters on the boards.
             The other thing is i could have sworn when i placed my bid it said $3.50 postage, so i got a rude shock when i got the invoice & it was $13.50. I know they can't change postage charge once i placed a bid but nothing to stop people changing it when sending the invoice right? (I'm a bit rusty on my invoicing knowledge as i only ever send one when combining postage, otherwise i let buyers go through checkout when they're ready, also hardly sold anything this year.)
       I must admit though, my eyesight has gotten a little worse in the last 6 mths. So it may have been that i didn't see the postage price correctly, the figures look very similair, this is why i didn't accuse them of changing it on me. Or maybe they did change it, guess i will never know. Oh well, either way, at least its motivated me to get new glasses lol!

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply