returning faulty items

I posted here previously to get some advice about returning some brand new ugg boots that I wore once and the zip broke.

I tried to return through ebay and they found in the seller favour, so I tried to return them through paypal.

I have just checked the claim status and they have also found in the sellers favour!!!!

Their exact words are "After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favour at this time. The listing accurately described the potential issues associated with the item you received."

What a load of rubbish. Nowhere in the listing does it say "Oh by the way, you might wear these brand new ugg boots and the zip might pull apart after one wear."

What have you got to do to get a return for faulty goods? I loved to buy stuff on ebay and that's the main reason I sell, so as I can buy. I don't think I can confidently do this anymore because I can not be guaranteed money back for faulty goods.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: returning faulty items

I suppose their reasoning is, the zip was intact when you took them out of the box, therefore, technically they arrived as described. It still sucks though, especially when you read some of the NAD cases here, especially for clothing, where the buyer claims a month or so later the item isn't as described (they now no longer need the clothing) and they get a full refund no questions asked.

I think you have 30 days to appeal a decisions. I don't know how successful you'd be, but I'd be disputing it.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Yes I guess that's what they are thinking in this case. It's just so frustrating. I don't think I ever really stood a chance with this one.

It kind of makes me feel like they think I'm trying to do a "dodgy" or something. The seller did accused me of breaking them. I do feel like giving up but I will ring paypal tonight when I get home from work and try and talk some reason to them!

It's very disheartening to me as both a seller and buyer as I have never encountered this problem before and always felt safe buying and selling on ebay with the protection of paypal. Not so anymore!

I am stuck with an expensive pair of ugg boots that I can't even wear. On a bright note I did buy a beautiful pair of genuine uggs on Ozsale. Quite a bit more expensive but they are great.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Ring Paypal, latyer in the evening is often better, and ak to speak to a supervisor. Ask them if they will please look at your claim again as there was certainly nothng in the listing to say the zip would break straight away. If they still refuse tell them you are going to report it to the FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service) if they do not refund you within 48 hours. Make sure you note down the date and time of the call and ask the person dealing with it for their name and employee number and note those down too.  It is a simple process making the complaint to the Ombudsman and all done on line.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Thankyou for your wonderful advice. The saga of the ugg boots has been solved. I have just got off the phone after talking with a supervisor at paypal and after some stern words with her, she has refunded my payment, hooray!! I didn't even have to mention the financial ombudsman. Now I just have to think carefully about the wording of my feedback for the seller!!!!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Excellent result.

I'm glad boardie advice and perseverance paid off.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

is the refund actually in your account yet?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Yes it is. I stayed on the line with them until it was! I am glad it is all over and that I stuck with it. I don't like confrontation very much and was tempted just to let it go, so I'm glad I didn't.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I am guess they were thinking along the lines of consumer law, rather than their own as described policies. Paypal/ebay are in the business of enforcing their own policies whereas department of fair trading is responsible for consumer law. Extrapolate this to a new item bought that fails towards the end of its consumer law guarantee periods, odds are it would be even harder, if not impossible, to get a refund via ebay/paypal.

How to claim on guarantees for item purchased via Ebay has always been a tricky one, compared to just walking into a store. I think it is one ares ebay needs to clarify better to increase consumer confidence.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply