scam sellers, pay with paypal why?

hi, I have now brought not one but 2 phones from two different sellers, pay via paypal and not recieved the items, one of them now has another one for sale and I have reported it as I believe it is fraud but am worried it will be too late.  As I will eventually get my money back via paypal my question is this: what do they have to gain by this behaviour? is it like a loan to them? is there somehow a way I won't get my money back via paypal protection? thanks for your help. oh and here is the link to the one for sale http://contact.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUserNextGen it is obviously an iphone 5s not 5c and not therefore 8gb AND the photo is off a display one in a shop!! ANd stupid me I brought a phone from this person LOL, it was a second hand 4s so not the obvious scam like this one..

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Does anyone else understand this post? It's all over the shop.Here,have a valium & relax.

For the love of all that is holy,read a listing before you buy.

Ask any questions before you bid or buy.Don't go on about facts & figures after the deal is done.

Also what is the obsession you have with packaging?You get a few broken items too,huh maybe that's why.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

The link in your post goes nowhere. You can post an item number if you want.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

what has packaging got to do with my post?

nothing in your response has anything to do with my post actually, not sure what you mean?

I want to know if it is possible to void the paypal protection? otherwise why 'sell' a product you don't actually have or have no intenetion of sending....

no need to be rude to me either eh, telling me to take a valium is really uncalled for...

I have been using ebay for many years and have not had too many issues to date, usually good at spotting sellers I would rather not buy from... the lass I brought the 4s from had 100% feedback at time of purchase which then turned into 60% after only a couple of days.....  not good sign

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

131274516432 is the item number 🙂

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

The photos are terrible in that listing. Taken in a. Mobile phone shop? The second photo is out of focus and you can't read the text.

Can't tell from the photos what exactly you would be buying.

I am not sure how scamster sellers get to keep the Paypal funds. Some, especially from overseas..keep delaying the buyer with excuses as to where their item is, until the 45 days have passed and then the buyer can't make a paypal claim.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

they can't delay though if you put in a paypal dispute straight away eh. I have now put in a claim for the item I brought and she imedicately (I say she have no idea really LOL) gave them a tracking number, I did not accept as she has put up 2 sets of numbers neither have progressed beyone ínitiated'  anyone can intiate tracking via online post service without actually posting! 

yeah the pics shocking eh, dodgy for sure!

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

it has been taken down, maybe ebay actually did something about my report 🙂

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

they can't delay though if you put in a paypal dispute straight away eh

Yes that is correct. The sellers get some buyers who don't like to push things &who are unaware of the paypal claim process, and seller usesdelaying tactics -  wait until next week, should be here in a fortnight, item has been delayed but I have sent it now, family illness etc - excuses like that.

There are often buyers who post on these boards who have been led on like that and missed the Paypal 45 day threshold and unable to get their money back. Especially from overseas sellers.

Good that listing went quickly.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@mandysrdb wrote:

As I will eventually get my money back via paypal my question is this: what do they have to gain by this behaviour? is it like a loan to them? is there somehow a way I won't get my money back via paypal protection? thanks for your help.

Not all fraudulent listings are about gaining funds. Some of them are purely to farm information (names, email addresses and other contact details), and sometimes they won't even have a valid PP address for payments to go to. 

Also, if a buyer qualifies for protection, PayPal reimburse the buyer whether the funds are still in the seller's account or not. If they have been withdrawn, PayPal will pursue the account holder to recover the debt, but how often they recover those funds in such circumstances is anyone's guess (that's why they will sometimes withhold payments from sellers until a certain amount of time has passed, or the buyer confirms receipt of the purchase). 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply