scam sellers, pay with paypal why?

hi, I have now brought not one but 2 phones from two different sellers, pay via paypal and not recieved the items, one of them now has another one for sale and I have reported it as I believe it is fraud but am worried it will be too late.  As I will eventually get my money back via paypal my question is this: what do they have to gain by this behaviour? is it like a loan to them? is there somehow a way I won't get my money back via paypal protection? thanks for your help. oh and here is the link to the one for sale http://contact.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUserNextGen it is obviously an iphone 5s not 5c and not therefore 8gb AND the photo is off a display one in a shop!! ANd stupid me I brought a phone from this person LOL, it was a second hand 4s so not the obvious scam like this one..

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

thanks, really helpful 🙂

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Be extra vigilant when receiving emails from now on, any money they make is a bonus, as DG says they are after information. Never click on any links in an email and never ever sign into ebay, Paypal or any other site containing financial information as it could well be a fake site, always go to the site through the address bar and log in from there.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I've been buying on eBay over 10 years, but I wouldn't buy a phone- too many issues. If you paid with paypal, wait until after the estimated delivery date or 10 days then lodge a "not received" item dispute. Nevertheless, the phone that turns up, if one does, could be faulty, stolen, locked to a carrier or not as described. For this reason, I don't buy electronics, cameras, phone, designer handbags unless the seller has over 500 sales, 99% feedback! isn't from some weird place and offers a return. Hope it all goes ok.
Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

You can open a Paypal dispute anytime after sale date. There is no wait period (10 days).
Message 14 of 14
Latest reply