seller re negs on order and blames paypal?

I purchased an item, the item processed thru my paypal account. I received notices from seller item coming, item on the way, three notices in all. Then the item cancelled and the seller said that it had to be cancelled because it was pending in paypal.

Yet my account showed it had been paid five days earlier. When I queried the seller I was advised they had contacted paypal and it was paypal who advised them to cancel as the payment pending - yet my records show payment made five days ago.

Where can I do from here >

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sometimes I get notices from PayPal that they have put a cleared payment under review, and not to ship the item until they have finished their review. 99% of the time, the review completes and I am notified I can ship the buyer's item. The rest of the time, PayPal rejects the payment. I'm not 100% sure if buyers are notified their payment is under review or not. 

Something like that may have happened here, the notice can come even a couple of days after the payment is made, during which time a seller may purchase shipping labels etc, occasionally they have already posted the item.

It could be something else, eg the seller realised they couldn't ship the item and this seemed a reasonable justification for cancelling, or they had an incorrect email address in the listing and couldn't access the payment (if they use eBay's cancellation process, the cancellation should trigger an auto-refund). 

As sparklz mentioned, as long as you have received a full refund, I'd probably just purchase elsewhere if possible. If you really wanted to know, you could call PayPal and ask them if they placed a hold or review on the funds, or if it hadn't completed / cleared, but they won't be able to tell you if the payment went to an address that didn't belong to the seller, so even if they say the funds cleared instantly with no issues, it doesn't 100% mean the seller is lying. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Have you got your money back?

If yes be happy and move on.

There is nothing you can do to force the seller to sell the item.

All you can do is leave feedback if you can to advise others of the problem.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Sometimes I get notices from PayPal that they have put a cleared payment under review, and not to ship the item until they have finished their review. 99% of the time, the review completes and I am notified I can ship the buyer's item. The rest of the time, PayPal rejects the payment. I'm not 100% sure if buyers are notified their payment is under review or not. 

Something like that may have happened here, the notice can come even a couple of days after the payment is made, during which time a seller may purchase shipping labels etc, occasionally they have already posted the item.

It could be something else, eg the seller realised they couldn't ship the item and this seemed a reasonable justification for cancelling, or they had an incorrect email address in the listing and couldn't access the payment (if they use eBay's cancellation process, the cancellation should trigger an auto-refund). 

As sparklz mentioned, as long as you have received a full refund, I'd probably just purchase elsewhere if possible. If you really wanted to know, you could call PayPal and ask them if they placed a hold or review on the funds, or if it hadn't completed / cleared, but they won't be able to tell you if the payment went to an address that didn't belong to the seller, so even if they say the funds cleared instantly with no issues, it doesn't 100% mean the seller is lying. 

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply