seller requesting customer cancell order

In the last 2 weeks i have had 3 sellers request me to cancel my order, even though i wanted the item. One relisted the item at a higher price, the other two gave ridiculous reasons to explain they didn't have stock (last one damaged, warehouse stolen!)

Why is there not the ability for the seller to honestly cancel the order themselves?

This would be beneficial to customers, to see if seller repeatedly list items they do not have.

Please ebay, we want to trust that when we purchase from honest sellers.

Can anyone explain why this doesn't happen now?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

No idea since the buyer can't cancel

This is a member to member forum though, if you want eBay's scripted response, you will need to ask them

Sellers do have a list of options to choose from to cancel

Have you paid already?

If so, just ignore them and open an item nor received dispute when it allows you to

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

The solution is how you reply, if you in anyway agree, then the seller can use cancelled at buyers request and ebay then refunds their fees.  So don't agree and they can not use that reason for canceling .

They have one other option to cancel and still receive their fees back, otherwise they have to use the reason out of stock, in which case they don't get their fees back but receive seller defect instead.

As for ridiculous reasons being supplied, how do you know it is untrue,  damaged/stolen, it happens.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I have had it that I have gone to grab some stock and an item has being broken, or once I dropped it while packing,  so not all reasons are ridiculous,  

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Likewise have had to contact seller and advise of minor damage in storage, and ask if they still want the item often with a discount thrown in.  The ball is then in their court.  What is the point in shipping a damaged item and then also being required to refund and pay return post.

Ebay don,t give a damn what has happened to a sold item,  stolen/lost/damaged, does not matter.  I recall a member coming to the boards as his storage facility had been ram raided over the weekend,  ebay did not give a damn about photos, police report, or stat dec,  resolve the matter with buyer or wear the cost and transaction defect.

Note to self,  stop buying stock with legs.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

You're just having a bad run, by the sounds of it.

I suspect gutterpunkz explanation is spot on, they are asking you as they want you to reply yes, cancel it please and then they can avoid a defect.

Only the seller can cancel anyway. A seller can cancel without asking you. A seller can be honest about the reason for cancellation. Many times if a seller is out of stock, they would just cancel and refund.

As for why your sellers cancelled, I don't believe all of them were genuine. The one who reliisted at a higher price, that's obvious why they wanted to cancel.

As for the other two, possible but put it this way, I'd not cooperate by saying yes, cancel.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks,

i do not believe the "last one in stock damaged" as i have been told this on at least 6 occasions on ebay.

i also do not believe that a warehouse was stolen.

The seller refusing to send and then increasing the price in not ok either.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

sorry, but i don't believe them, once maybe , but repeatedly is just listing stock for sale that they do not have, poor stock control

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@ardentmill999 wrote:

Thanks,

i do not believe the "last one in stock damaged" as i have been told this on at least 6 occasions on ebay.

i also do not believe that a warehouse was stolen.

The seller refusing to send and then increasing the price in not ok either.

That is a  ridiculous number of times to be given the run around.

What I suspect could be happening is you're buying from drop shippers who are selling without actually having the stock to hand.

I don't like the practice but apparently it is fine with ebay, as long as they can get the stock to you by the agreed delivery time. 

I am not a huge ebay buyer but have never had it happen to me so maybe it is more common with certain types of items, I don't know.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply