seller requests postage fee after item purchase.

Hi all, purchased item out of China listed as free postage, then 2 days later after being told item sent, gets a message requesting a further $10 as ''their shipper doesn't cover our area''.  Item would be delivered by Aust Post anyhow as it is only 1KG.  If we dont want to pay the extra money, they will cancel the order if that is what we wish. I replied and said we want the item as listed and paid for with no extra payment. I feel that they made an error with the listing price, as the same item exactly in their other listings is almost $100 dearer, and they are trying to get out of the deal. How can they request to cancel the order if the item is on it's way?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Because they havent actually shipped it is my guess.

Dont pay the extra, On the listing it will have an estimated delivery date.
If you have not received your item by that delivery date, open an INR (item not received) with Ebay.

If you get to that stage, come back and we'll explain the next steps, however, the process is well explained once opened.

Only communicate with your seller through Ebay messages, not private email. This way, if your INR is esculated to a claim, and if need be, Ebay staff can read the contact between you both for *proof*. (proof they told you it was posted. Proof they asked you for more money etc etc)

Good luck

Jane xx

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks for the help, will wait until the delivery date has expired then hit them.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

If you say that the same item is listed with them for $100 more than what you paid then would an extra $10 be worth paying

if you indeed got a bargain and really want the item?

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Beside the point, wont be held to ransom whatever the price. If I make a listing error, I wear it, so should everyone else. Matter of principle and against ebay rules anyway.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Except for new sellers of course, they make genuine mistakes and I would never hold them to it.

I would take time to educate them in which they would probably appreciate.

image host
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Sometimes it is not worth getting on your high horse.

If you really have got a great bargain forget your principles and grab it!

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Normally Lyndal, but the reason they are giving is that they claim their normal carrier, which is Aust Post, doesn't serve our area!

They wanted to charge the extra so that they could use Toll transport, well Toll dont come anywhere near us. We have had issues chasing items with them before. They are not being truthful about it and they should know better, they are a big seller with feedback in the hundreds of thousands. I have had some smaller issues with them before, but they have always come to the party with a bit of a shove. The item in question is $260, so we have paid enough, their error, their problem.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

audi -  this is a classic case of cutting your nose to spite your face!

You have a bargain, you don't want to pay extra no matter what exuse they used (who cares anyway, even if an obvious lie, as you are still miles in front), so you say their mistake,  their problem

Except - it'll be your problem if you don't receive your item. The worst and only thing you can do is leave a neg - again no biggie at all, and if you want to still have that item will have to pay another seller $100 more!

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

I will try and make my point clearer on this one.    The price difference on the item ( a hobby type of item, so not life and death), is because the more expensive listing is supposed to be stocked in Aust, which we all know is BS as they are dropped shipped after you buy. The cheaper priced item is listed as located in China, and as stated it is only a hobby thing, so we were prepared to wait to get the lower price. I think the price difference is probably too great, but thats the sellers concern, not mine.

Ok, dealt with that part, now, if we did pay the extra $10 AUD they say the item will be sent with Toll Transport, as the usual carrier for their items being Aust Post, do not cover our area. What?  I have made many purchases from this mob and a couple of other Ebay companies that you can tell are the same seller, different registration, and all items have come with Aust Post.  As the nearest Toll Transport depot to us is 180kl round trip, you should be able to see why I dont want Toll to bring it, at least a 2 hour trip, plus fuel etc etc. The package weight is only 1 KG so there is no reason why they are trying this on. At the end of the delivery timeframe, if we go for the refund as they seem to be inviting, we will buy it from Bangood, delivered to my local PO and only a few dollars more. Still much cheaper than chasing a Toll delivery.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply