seller wants to cancel transaction

I recently purchased an item paid for it and then recieved a message from the seller wanting to cancel the transaction The reason being the item was sold too cheap There were two bids on the item and I won it Have I any righhts in this situation

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: seller wants to cancel transaction

You shouldn't have cancelled until you had been refunded. The seller may not refund you now and by paying via bank deposit, you have no protection as a buyer. Don't leave the seller any feedback until you see whether you get your refund. If they don't refund you, big red dot time.

As Tazz said, open a PayPal account. If you are only a buyer, there shouldn't be any fees. It is a much safer way to trade on eBay. If you have it linked up to both a bank account and a credit card (or just a credit card), the payment will be instant.

Good luck with it all.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

normally I would say no, the seller should not do that.

However, a lot of sellers got caught by the ebay outage on Sunday and Monday and their items sold at their starting price, because other people were unable to bid.      If it was something like that, I would myself consider their request.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

No, there is not much you can do. 

Has the seller given you or offered you a refund?

You don't have to agree to the cancellation request the seller sends you. Make sure you get your refund first before agreeing or not agreeing to the cancelation request.

The seller won't get their fees back if you don't agree.

If you do agree to a cancellation request make sure the seller has chosen a reason that reflects on the true reason why they want it cancelled.

A reason such as ... I no longer want to sell this item. Not a reason that starts with buyer.... e.g. buyer changed their mind.

The seller will get a defect for the cancellation for their reasons, which affects their seller performance standards when they get a certain % of them.

The seller should start the listing at the lowest price they will accept. The new defect system  for sellers was introduced to address sellers cancelling sold items because the price was too low, out of stock or they sold it elsewhere.

If this sellers auction was affected by the outage they will be have their fees credited (auctions) and any defects removed.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I have now cancelled the sale in agreement with the seller The reason given to was that the item sold too cheap I am a bit upset by all this as I did bid on the item from day one and there were two bids other than me I was the winning bidder  I have been to the bank and tried to cancell the money deposit We will see how that goes  Thank you all for your input It just makes me a little wary on buying on ebay as I have had this happen before and never to this day have i recieved a refund

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@flatoutharry wrote:

It just makes me a little wary on buying on ebay as I have had this happen before and never to this day have i recieved a refund

Open a Paypal account as you will then have full protection if something goes wrong.

You can then decide whether you want the money sitting in the account or have it come out of your bank

account,(if it comes out of your account,it will go as an Echeque which generally takes a few days to process).

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

You shouldn't have cancelled until you had been refunded. The seller may not refund you now and by paying via bank deposit, you have no protection as a buyer. Don't leave the seller any feedback until you see whether you get your refund. If they don't refund you, big red dot time.

As Tazz said, open a PayPal account. If you are only a buyer, there shouldn't be any fees. It is a much safer way to trade on eBay. If you have it linked up to both a bank account and a credit card (or just a credit card), the payment will be instant.

Good luck with it all.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Tough tittie, if you bought the item and paid for it fair and square, it's now your item, i wouldn't have agreed to a cancellation, that's the sellers fault for starting an auction at a price that they were not willing to except.

These type of sellers annoy me, when i first started i sold a $70.00 -  $80.00 part at auction for .99c the listing at the time cost me $1.20, now i honored that sale because i choose to start the bidding at .99c so i had / have to deal with the loss, now if i have auction my starting price is what i'm happy to sell for.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply