seller wont sell on higher bid

koss0
Community Member

Can a seller by pass my higher bid and sell to someone else??

I saw an item for sale, it had offers, i made my offer, today it says it sold for less than what i offered, i contacted the seller and he states he only wanted to sell it as pick up only, yet his ad made no mention anywhere about pick up only, he did have a price for postage then says he cant post for the amount he put in his ad, something is wrong here, he is contradicting his own ad.

This seller is not trustworthy and should be reported to ebay, sellers like this should not be allowed to use ebay like this, selective selling ahould not be allowed, he also went on to say that he saw i was in SA and thought i wouldnt want to pay postage, i dont live in SA i live in Brisbane, sounds like he doesnt know what he is doing.

I dont suppose there is much i can do, i would report him to ebay but they are also selective on the questions it asks before making a complaint

My offer was for $125, i wasnt even given the chance to say i would pay the extra for postage.

scammer ebay.JPG

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sorry for not understanding correctly

You said your offer was $125 and it sold for less than what you offered but the picture you have included says the item sold for $220 ?

Keep trying to see if you can contact eBay via Live Chat (if there is a work around) 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

In the screenshot you've given the item sold for $220.00, a lot more than the $125.00 you offered - or am I missing something ?

Could you post the item number of the bike please ?

Edit. Snap sandy........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

This one ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fortis-Magnetic-Recumbent-Bike-RCM-1000-Brand-New-in-Box-Home-use-/20299...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Short answer is the seller owns the item and they have every right to choose who they sell it too, what the terms are and for what price. Ebay not only allow this, they support it through the services they offer sellers which include the blocked buyer list. This allows a seller to block a buyer from contacting them or placing any bids or offers on the items for sale.

I recently blocked a buyer. The only reason was his messages where not very courteous and he came across as self indulgent and demanding. I would rather not sell an item at all, rather than deal with a numpty such as this who may well find other things to complain about later in the sale process. His messages sounded a lot like your post. Can a seller do That ? Why would they block me ? You're a bad seller blah blah.   Frankly, lifes too short to deal with numpty, bad mannered buyers.....

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@koss0 wrote:

yes

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The seller made a mistake with postage, possibly inexperience. Do you want him hanged as well because he thought you were in SA ?

They still have a nice pair of orange soccer boots you could buy... and it's pick up only.
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@koss0 wrote:

My offer was for $125, i wasnt even given the chance to say i would pay the extra for postage.

I'm going to go out on a limb and lean towards the assumption you meant to type that your offer was $225  - i.e. 5% under the list price, which is a pretty reasonable offer and at least technically above the sold price of $220. (Obviously a $125 - 50% of the list price - offer is unlikely to be taken seriously by most sellers, but if that was the offer, it makes more sense for the seller to presume you wouldn't be willing to pay extra for postage lol).

The seller accepts the best offer. Best offer doesn't necessarily mean highest offer.

If a quick $220 cash on pick up sale is the better of two offers for that seller (with the other offer involving payment through PayPal, and having to freight the item elsewhere) then it's their choice to make - there isn't anything you can do about it because it'd be kinda sorta like reporting someone for liking orange icy poles more than cola (i.e. it involves personal preferences). Plus, once PayPal fees are taken into account, if the other buyer paid cash, then the seller would have actually been worse off after PayPal fees from your payment, so if you did offer $225, at the end of the day the other offer could have netted a higher amount in their pocket even if $5 less. 

eBay shows the buyer location to sellers when they send through a message - have you ever had an address in SA, or sent a recent purchase there, maybe? That could explain why the seller thought that's where you are located. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@koss0 wrote:

I saw an item for sale, it had offers, i made my offer, today it says it sold for less than what i offered, i contacted the seller and he states he only wanted to sell it as pick up only, yet his ad made no mention anywhere about pick up only, he did have a price for postage then says he cant post for the amount he put in his ad, something is wrong here, he is contradicting his own ad.

This seller is not trustworthy and should be reported to ebay, sellers like this should not be allowed to use ebay like this, selective selling ahould not be allowed, he also went on to say that he saw i was in SA and thought i wouldnt want to pay postage, i dont live in SA i live in Brisbane, sounds like he doesnt know what he is doing.

I dont suppose there is much i can do, i would report him to ebay but they are also selective on the questions it asks before making a complaint

scammer ebay.JPG

Can a seller choose who they want to sell to? Is the Pope a catholic?

Hmm let's see, pay fees on high postage and risk paying return postage if the buyer doesn't like the colour ๐Ÿ˜ or hand it over directly through pick up for cash, done and dusted for the same or higher sale price? That's a no brainer

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I think Digital ghost probably hit the nail on the head and you offered 225, and it sold for 220.

Best offer doesn't necessarily mean highest offer. I know you would think it does and normally that probably is the case, but it doesn't have to be. This is the same in other areas, not just ebay. My daughter bought a house a couple of years back that was looking for 'best offer'. Hers was $10,000 less than the top offer but the sellers preferred to sell to her for a few reasons. (Mainly because it was a more certain sale, not likely to fall through).

I think that is what has happened here with this ebay sale. Although the other offer was slightly under yours, the seller decided a local sale, cash in hand was easier, more certain and less risky. Are they allowed to do this? They certainly can. It is up to them whether they accept any offer or not.

As for their ad showing postage. Maybe it was a mistake. I have seen that happen before in ads, especially in some where the seller may not be experienced. You read the ad and realise it is meant to be pick up but there is a postage amount showing.

Mistakes happen. But even if the seller was offering postage, he probably decided to go with the easier, amd maybe even slightly more profitable cash sale. Doesn't make the seller untrustworthy, they haven't made any false promises.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply