tell the truth

I see feedback scores are being corrected by ebay saying your seller received 5 stars so you cant leave three or less or mail five expected wont allow three.

I recently bought two cheaper projector support stands and as they say price is what you pay.

I thought they would do the job and they wont

they are cheap and postage returns are not cheap so I chose to leave neutral feedback to warn other buyers..

They wont do what they should do well so i am luke warm about the purchase

and accept its a 50/50 my fault and unsuitable item'so NEUTRAL as a minimum.

My experience sending stuff back is the post costs half the buying price

and then if you leave negative they start complaining.

isnt the feedback system supposed to reflect your experience and the suitability of the goods for use?

Thought so.

tell the truth..

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

tell the truth

I'll assume your comment is directed at eBay (who don't read here) rather than other members (they only people who do)

My or anyone else's opinion of the feedback system aside, if it is the last two sellers you have left neut feedback for, I am not surprised the items you bought are not up to standard, both sellers are in China with less than glowing feedback

Personally I am yet to experience/see what you mention re leaving feedback so I cannot comment on it

If purchases are not fit for use/not as described, and you buy from a seller in Aus, the buyer does not pay return postage

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

tell the truth

@steve_gee wrote:

I see feedback scores are being corrected by ebay saying your seller received 5 stars so you cant leave three or less or mail five expected wont allow three.

I haven't experienced that scenario.

they are cheap and postage returns are not cheap

If you open a case for "item not as described" through eBay's MBG you don't pay return postage, the seller does.

As bear said both those sellers are registered in China with item location in Australia (so that is where the items are returned to), and their feedback is not at all good.

Below 99.5% feedback for a high volume seller should be a  warning to you that the sale could easily go wrong.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

tell the truth

Regarding feedback, I really don't know what you mean.  You cannot leave less than five stars for Postage costs if it is free postage, so don't know if that is what you are referring to. 

As for the quality of the product, you probably got what you paid for.  Why would you expect anything else?  Maybe you should have asked about what it would support before buying.   If it were me and I had expensive equipment then I would be going to a camera store and look at and buy the best possible strong supports for my expensive camera and projector. It seems counter productive to me to do anything else. Did you make any attempt to discuss the problem with the Seller before leaving neutral feedback?

This country is inundated with Chinese products, so you may well see the same items here marked at a much higher price. Some things need to be looked at in person, and sometimes it is hard to buy anything that is not made in China, but paying a decent price might ensure some level of quality.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

tell the truth

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@steve_gee wrote:

When ebay bought in the star ratings they said that if the seller offered free posting they would automatically get a 5 star rating.

This has not changed although there are now other guidelines for a 5 star rating in other categories.  Surely you don't begrudge sellers getting 5 stars for free postage.  Anyone giving less than 5 stars is just being vindictive.

I recently bought two cheaper projector support stands and as they say price is what you pay.

I thought they would do the job and they wont

they are cheap and postage returns are not cheap so I chose to leave neutral feedback to warn other buyers..

They wont do what they should do well so i am luke warm about the purchase

and accept its a 50/50 my fault and unsuitable item'so NEUTRAL as a minimum.

My experience sending stuff back is the post costs half the buying price

and then if you leave negative they start complaining.

I am not sure what you expect.....you admit to buying cheap items that you "thought" would do the job.

How is it the seller's fault that you expect top quality stands for bargain basement prices?  It just doesn't happen these days on ebay.  By your own admission you get what you pay for.

isnt the feedback system supposed to reflect your experience and the suitability of the goods for use?

Thought so.

tell the truth..

Yes, the feedback is supposed to reflect your experience so how could you even contemplate giving less than 5 stars for free postage?   As to the suitability of the goods for use.....if you buy cheap you receive cheap.  I have no doubt that the stands you have received would do the job but if they are less tha0n top quality you may not feel happy at entrusti0ng expensive equipment to it.  
Did you think of looking for item that were a bit more expensive and may have been better made?

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

tell the truth

No matter what price you pay for an item, it is meant to be fit for the purpose.

But that's within Australia & if you buy cheap things fro China, you're going to find that when things go wrong, you're not in a good position.

As you already know, return postage costs for you won't be cheap & I wouldn't like your chances of having it refunded. Everything I have read on these boards leads me to think that sometimes Chinese sellers on ebay come under different rules & regulations. In other words, they get away with stuff the aussie seller wouldn't. Keep it in mind.

I've not had a problem with the things I have bought from China. Some things were a bargain, cheaper than i could buy exactly the same products here for. Others, I found that the materials used were much thinner than i like (talking shower caps here). But for $1, no big deal.

I think though, for quite a lot of item categories, buying from Australia or Australian sellers is the way to go.

As for feedback, you should be able to leave whatever feedback you like as long as it is factual and follows the ebay guides. If postage was free, you can't leave less than 5 stars for that category but you certainly should be able to leave neutral feedback and a comment and mark down the stars in other categories if you wish.

Sometimes if someone is a power seller, I think it is? you can't leave it immediately, you have to wait a few days. But you may be able to leave it later?

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

tell the truth

@steve_gee wrote:

Not quite. As in, yes to the first part, not really, no, to the the second part. Feedback is not the same as a product review, that's why the DSRs only allow you to rate aspects of the transaction, and product reviews (a completely separate thing) only allow you to rate aspects of the item. 

Plus, feedback is, by nature and design, a wholly subjective thing - subjectivity and truth aren't exactly the most complementary things. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply