what can i do if an item has been lost through international post

aleshaa
Community Member

hi there i bought a wedding dress through a china site and when i recieved it it wasnt what it had pictured the sewing was really bad and the measurements were way off and it was huge. ive sent it back on 22 feb and it reached china on the 1 march and the seller says its lost in the post and i feel like they have scamed me. australia post have looked it up and its says its currently being delivered so i dunno what to do. i cant open a case on here as it needs to be within 45days or so. ive spent $290 on the item including postage and i fear i wont see any of it back as its not insured and china people have lost it. i feel totally scamed. is there anything i can do?

regards

alesha

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: what can i do if an item has been lost through international post

The only option that you have now is if the purchase was funded with a credit/debit card - contact your bank and try to initiate a chargeback. Do it straight away as different financial institutions have different time periods allowed for doing this.

In future (for this type of situation) the correct procedure is to open a PayPal dispute for 'Item not as Described' then escalate it to a claim as soon as the system allows you to. PayPal will then give you the seller's address to return the item - you have to send it to them by tracked and 'signed for' post (which can be very expensive). Once you have uploaded the tracking information PayPal will process your refund.

When buying expensive items from overseas always bear in mind that if there's anything wrong with it - you will have to return it at your expense.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Woah, What reason for initiating a charge back,OP saiid not happy, seller said send it back, Now lost in post, so lets punish the seller.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Chrisco - what would you do ?

Wear the cost ?

The correct procedure would have been to open SNAD and go throught paypal - then the buyer would have been advised by paypal to send in a trackable/accpetable means and if the seler did not receive the item paypal would have reimbursed the buyer form their own coffers.

Why in heavens name should the buyer lose over $250 because the item received was a cheap shoddily made dress.??

OP - just for future advice, buy local and support the Oz eBayers, especially with clothing and electrical.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

What would I have done?.  Exactly what you just advised.

Wear the cost?. Why in heavens name should the seller lose money they agreed with the buyer.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

If the buyer did as I suggested, the seller would not have lost money either. Such is Paypal protection.

Buyer - send back by paypal approved means - all good.

Seller does not receive and delivery can not be proven - seller also loses no money. Paypal reimburses buyer from their own pocket.

In your post you suggested the buyer lose out because the seller did not receive the item back - my question is WHY should the buyer suffer?

And to bring it back to the seller, if they had not sent an item that was poorly made, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@chrisco62 wrote:

What would I have done?.  Exactly what you just advised.

Wear the cost?. Why in heavens name should the seller lose money they agreed with the buyer.

Because the goods were not as advertised and there is a good chance they already have the item back.

Sellers often ask for a return and promise replacement/refund and will happily communicate with the buy right up until, usually, the time limit for feedback has expired.

It probably cost them about $5 to make and $5 to post, so they are well in front, even if they don't have it back.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Wow 2106,mmmmmmm!!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@chrisco62 wrote:

Wow 2106,mmmmmmm!!

I know, I am pretty awesome.....

but I prefer to be called greencat, GC  or ms.God ( if you feel more comfortable with that.)

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I am quite sure I will be corrected here - but from different posts I got the impression that when PayPal refunded the buyer from their own coffers, then they went after the seller for reimbursement to PayPal.  Which could be why PayPal are quick to refund buyers, as it will then recoup its outlay from sellers, so no loss to PayPal.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply