what do i do when a seller took my money and then didnt send item

Hi a seller who trades under <removed> took money off me then didnt send item an ignores any corrispondance i send. He also trades under <removed>

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

so long as you paid with PayPal (who offer full Buyer Protection), and you are still within 45 days of the payment being made, you're OK

just log into your paypal a/c and open a dispute for item not received.

if the seller cannot prove shipping to your paypal registered address, you'll get your $$ back real quick.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

hi,we too,paid for item,then no corrisponce,no item no nothing.says seller removed from ebay.pay pal sent us their(the seller)email info,that was usless...they still dont reply!!  do you buy a anything to do with a pool? curious.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

So you have also been scammed by that pool seller,it happened to friends of mine and lucky they paid with PayPal and finally got their money back.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

If you paid with Paypal then open an item not received dispute and escalate to a claim asap, you may be able to do so straight away.

If you didn't use Paypal or a direct card payment then you are on your own and will find out why ebay tell you at every turn that you have no buyer protection if you don't use a safe payment method.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I've been there recently.

I always check the listing is closed, the item is not relisted, the payment has gone to the seller via PayPal, there is a tracking number that IS A REAL one. The one I was given in this particular case had bad format and characters short when investigated.

Most shipping companies will have a list of tangeable receipt and shipping confirmation tracking numbers on their site, or with Customer service. Don't be of the idea that maybe they mis-typed it in, they probably intended to give an 'odd' tracking number, as a real one tells all the info you need, which will give their little scam away quite readily. In fact, its the first indicator of an issue. Then EbayMessage them again, they should reply in the same speed as when they were trying to sell you the item remember!. If not, then investigate further.

Then check with the relative shipping company for it's legitimacy, and correct forwarding address, if it is missing ANY one of these, get straight to PayPal, and help them catch these scammers red-handed.

Then get immediately on to Ebay yourself to update them, so they can stop the same dodgy listing and users. Get to PayPal, and tell them what Ebay has to say about the seller.

PayPal will probably, there and then, verfy all the details, and if it looks dodgy to them too, they will attempt to contact the seller.

My guess is they will probably fail, but they will "ice" the account you paid the funds to, and stop the scammer dead if it's not too late.

The key is to be hot, and on the ball. Help PayPal and Ebay do their job. Not only will it save your cash, it will save others from being innocently drawn into any scam.

Rule of thumb here. If it looks way too good, it probably is, and leave it alone, but flag it to Ebay none-the-less, they may keep a watchful eye on things.

Oh, and a good tip is to get a screen shot of all your purchases right as you win them, as they may vanish, just like the funds will too.All these things done will help the case for PayPal and Ebay.

Last rule of thumb, ......which I have repeatedly doubted over the years is "Gut Instinct". I am now, after 50 years on this planet, beginning to see there are more senses than we were fist told we had to our armoury.

So, recap.

# Use Ebay, and any communications ALWAYS through Ebay messaging.

# Use PayPal, it works very well, and looks after you.

# Check any details with the seller via Ebay messaging. Do not be afraid to ask. After all, they want to sell, or they would not be on Ebay.

# Use "Gut Instinct" before making a decision.

# Walk-away is your finest safety barrier.

# If your purchase fails to cross-check after completion, start to look around the Shipping site for info. (Dont call USPS in Australian EST, they are at home, and all you get is an ACD to tell you after 10 mins they are closed at present...).

# Wave the flag of doubt to EBay & PayPal as fast as you can dial. You may be panicking too early, but that's no bad thing, Ebay and PayPal understand that, and may alay all doubt for you.

Remember.. "Gut instinct is often correct".

Just my $0.02 worth. I have had one or two attempts to scam me, but do it right, and never let your cash out of your sight. There is no black hole when it comes to shipping, someone has the info on an item for sure

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

EXCEPT...when the seller ships something via registered post but it isn't what you paid for.  For example, I recently bought a bow and some arrows (archery gear) from a Chinese seller...paid a lot of money...he gave me a tracking number for the items but what arrived was a red cloth santa hat in a registered post bag from China...this delays Paypal as the seller can giv them a registered post number but there isn't a description of the goods \weight from China Post so there is no way to work out it is obviously not the item (ie bow and arrows weigh about 4kb not 100g)

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Greg, that makes no difference to an Item Not As Described claim.   Even if you have to return the santa hat by trackable post you would still come out ahead if the items were expensive.

Have you opened a dispute and escalated it to a claim?

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Yes I have but he is a crook and will have shot through by now...try tracking down someone in China...it remains to be seen if Paypal do, in fact, provide any true protection.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

If you follow the rules and open the dispute and escalate to a claim within the paypal time frame you will get you refund whether the seller has shot though or not.

Just do what paypal instructs you to do and don't make up your own rules.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply