what does it mean "private listing" buyers identities protected. Why does that happen

can anyone tell me why the above message appears on an item on which I am bidding?  Why is a bidder on a publicly listed item on an open site such as Ebay listed as "private listing; buyers identities protected", and they are a bidder?  What's the deal and why the anonymity?  Makes me a bit suspicious.  An answer would be apreciated.  So time consuming to get to Ebay and ask a question so maybe someone here can tell me.  Thanks.  dancingpartner

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

what does it mean "private listing" buyers identities protected. Why does that happen

I agree, I placed a bid on an item currently running, and it does seem very strange that out of 27 bidders, all except me are ''private''

bidders. Oh well, I simply put my maxumim bid id and leave it at that. If they get stuck with the item, that's their fault.

I will know for sure at the end if I get pushed.......well, as i said my limit is there so be it.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

thanks for your response.  It does make me suspicious of the real reason behind it though.  It is supposed to be an open bidding system and yet, as with your item, all the bidders except me are listed as private.  I am bidding on an RM Williams' vest, not the forumula to turn water into wine, so why the privacy.  It makes me wonder just who is bidding also.  I will email Ebay as well but they are not real quick to answer some times.   

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

All bidders are private only the seller knows who the bidders are and you can only see your ID,this is because the seller has the listing set to private 

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Private listings are set up that way by the seller and are often used for items of a sensitive nature (underwear) or expensive collectibles.

The item and price paid can not be seen in feedback so your privacy is assured.

The only reason your ID is seen in the bidders list is because you are logged in to ebay.  You and the seller can see your ID.  If you log out of ebay and look at the listing you will see what everyone else sees.....Private bidder.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Thanks Lyndal1838 for your advice.  It is not a sensitive item or a collectible that I am bidding on - just a women's vest.  I have done a fair bit of bidding on Ebay and this is the first time I have come across this where all the bidders are listed as private.  Maybe I have just been lucky and just not encountered it over the past five years or so.  Maybe the vest is not that important to me after all.  I still feel it is supposed to be an open system and I find this is keeping it a bit too "private" for a women's vest.  I will contact the seller with the question.  dancingpartner

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

I can't see how 'buyers identities protected' is substantially different to the usual '5***j' type of ID showing for a normal everyday listing UNLESS it is for an item where the seller is suspected of shill bidding. Then, 'buyers identities protected' would make it harder to identify shill bidding than the '5***j' as 30 day bidding history is not available for the protected identities.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Thank you all for your responses.  I found the comment from K1ooo-slr-sales quite interesting.  I didn't win the item anyway, having lost interest along the way.  Thanks again and regards, dancing partner

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

it's a shame you lost interest if it was an item you liked.

Next time you see a private listing just say to yourself  "you know, I used to stay away from this type of listing and many others probably do to . . . . . . . .  that would mean less bidders . . . .  that would mean a chance to get this item at lower price"

Rather than losing interest it should peak your interest.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

It does seem quite strange that we get pushed to within range of the buy now price anyway. Also with big sellers, it is difficult to prove the issue as they have multiple exact items to list, but with used items or a smaller seller, it soon becomes obvious when the item pops up relisted again. I find it hard to believe that out of 35 bidders, I am the only one private. Please dont tell me that this is just a coincidence. I need the item regardless, so I will see what happens, and just pay the buy now price at the end, which is what I will be doing in future. Don't like games.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply