Cats are cool.

I've just received an email from pet rescure. It's titled "Cats are cool."

Here is the copy.

Cats are cool.

For the first time in ten years, cat ownership is on the increase in Australia, with more people discovering the convenience and surprising joy of pet cats. Even men, including the likes of Russell Brand and our very own adoption advocate, Wil Anderson, are getting in touch with their feline side and aren’t afraid to admit that it’s cool having a cat around.
We owe a big thank you to the 32 million-strong community of YouTube cats for this surge in popularity. Their videos have the world captivated, attracting over 200 million views in some instances and opening eyes to the undisputed proof that cats are super-cool, uber-cute and loving bundles of endless fun.
In this edition, we pay our own special tribute to the cat and invite you to share your cat adoption Happy Tail on our Facebook page.

Shel
Michelle Williamson
Wil Anderson - Cat man and loving it!

Wil Anderson – Cat man and loving it!

Comedian Wil Anderson is a proud “cat person” and has something to say about the whole men and cats issue.
According to Wil, “In this country, if you are a man and you say "I like cats!" what people actually hear is "I have my period, now get me a hot water bottle and a block of chocolate because I want to watch Grey’s Anatomy.”
Humane cat management

Humane cat management

Good cat management is a matter of maths, not death.
Showing respect to all cats (regardless of their ownership status) by desexing, instead of killing, is an effective way of managing cat populations and improving the welfare of cats already living in our communities.
Do you have a secret cat?

Do you have a secret cat?

Research has shown that 40% of cat owners are secretly feeding a cat they don't own.
Compassionate cat-lovers across the country are giving outdoor kitties extra help, including PetRescue's Top Dog Shel. She has desexed and cared for two free-roaming cats who would almost certainly have been captured, labelled ‘unadoptable’ and killed by a shelter.
“If everyone simply desexed a community cat, it would dry up the shelters in no time,” says Shel.
Jackson the heart warmer

Jackson the heart warmer

Matt from Melbourne would never have thought he was able to look after a cat, but since Jackson the foster cat walked into his life and onto his sofa, he’s not ashamed to admit he has something special going on with his particular moggy.
A cat walks in to a bar...

A cat walks into a bar...

If you’re a Southern Melbournian, you may have heard the one about Puss the pub cat.
Puss’ story made the Channel 10 news, and was the topic of many online reviews exclaiming "saw the cat!" or "the cat is awesome."
How to avoid ‘crazy cat person’ syndrome

How to avoid ‘crazy cat person’ syndrome

We know you’d like to take them all home, but there is a less crazy and cheaper way to give homeless cats a second chance in life.
By donating just $25, you’ll help us save another life from euthanasia, adding to our current total of over 80,000 cats and kittens rehomed.
Make it a regular donation and you’ll help support our drive to a no-kill future!
Photobucket
Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Cats are cool.

Definitely agree re feeding a 'secret cat'.  That's usually how you end up with another feline who is very quickly no longer a secret!

A co-worker already had a cat when another suddenly turned up in his yard.  No one claimed him despite neighbourhood enquiries, so food was left out.  I told him he had just acquired a second cat.  He said he hadn't.  I said he had because being a cat fan, there was no way he could suddenly stop feeding the stray and shoo it away.  He thought about it for a minute...and agreed.

He now has two cats, the stray having been checked over by a vet (no microchip), desexed, de-fleaed etc.  His original cat was initially not very impressed, but as time goes by they are gradually becoming used to each other and there's been no fighting.  Definitely a win-win situation for all.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Re: Cats are cool.

I love the story of the cat at the Melbourne Railway Hotel.  I've been there but don't 

remember seeing him, but it's good to know he enjoyed company so much and 

was well loved.  

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply
Group details
Cat Rules! - Everyday is Caturday -
Cat Rules! - Everyday is Caturday -
121 members Open Group Since ‎03-07-2013 08:14 PM
It's time to form a group for all cat lovers and crazy cat ladies. Let's post funny cat pictures and our own cat pictures. Have fun talking about cat and other things too.
It's time to form a group for all cat lovers and crazy cat ladies. Let's post funny cat pictures and our own cat pictures. Have fun talking about cat and other things too.