Global Shipping

I buy patterns and haberdashery and up until the exchange rate went crazy purchased a lot from the States. I notice now that everything I'm interested in is using the Global Shipping. The rates for these cheaper items is just crazy and prohibitive. Why are the sellers using this programme? Do they have a choice and what are the advantages for them? Now I request that the seller look into a cheaper form of postage and they respond with the answer that it happens automatically and they seem unwilling to go to any trouble to alter it.  I guess it's easier for them but surely their sales, at least internationally, are suffering. Is anyone else in the same boat as me? 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Global Shipping

I have noticed the same thing. I think they are signed up to it by default however they are able to opt out of it. I have been asking sellers for quotes using USPS, most have been good. You might have to educate some how to opt out.

Opting out

If you opt out of the Global Shipping program, you must wait 24 hours before renewing your enrollment.

To opt out of the Global Shipping Program:
  1. Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences.

2. Click the Show link to the right of the Shipping Preferences section.

3. Click the Edit link to the right of Offer the Global Shipping Program.

4. Click Opt Out.

5. Review the information. If you still wish to opt out, click Continue to opt out.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Global Shipping

Thanks for that information. I have kept a copy with the hope that I can 'educate' a seller if necessary. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Global Shipping

Some sellers like it because they only have to send the item to a local address (Kentucky in the US, I forget where the UK one is) and the GSP will take care of the international posting part with no responsibility falling back onto the seller if it all turns to custard.

I have the same problem with Tupperware.  I mean, seriously...Tupperware?  That stuff - like cockroaches - would probably still be around after a nuclear war, and it's lightweight to post.

It took me months to find a specific folding pet carrier that I couldn't get in Oz, that was not posted via the GSP.  And that's not the only example.  I'm buying less and less collectables with every day that some overseas seller signs up for it.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Global Shipping

As far as the seller is concerned it is no skin off their noses to use the GSP.    It is often free postage for them to send the item to Pitney Bowes in Erlanger KY and there is no paperwork for them to fill in for international postage.

The seller gets all the tracking information and has no worries about poor feedback for postage time or cost as ebay will remove any neutral or negatives or any feedback the mentions any problems with the transaction.

What's not to like about it if you are the seller.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Global Shipping

*lee42
Community Member

Me big time.

All I wanted was some fabric cost around $90 cost of postage $100.

postage costs now on UK eBay are unaffordable. Also UK sellers are telling

me its quite *wonder why*

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply