1945 Japan tray intricate detailing gold in colour red etc to big for ashtray

thats about all I have on this item.  the eldery lady whose house it came from is a friend, and her family kept mostly everything.  they even had her granny living with them (meaning some of the items she unsurfaced when she moved house were so intriguing).  anyone offer any suggestions how I find out more about this one, perhaps an indication of expected price... etc.  I intend to ebay it, just having been sitting on it for several years as its so pretty.

thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

and the back.  can't work out how to attach more than one photo at a time.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You'll have to help us out a bit here. It says Made in Japan does it - I can't read the stamp. Where does 1945 come from? I would say it's just a tray, the pierced bits being handles.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I think the lady said it was a gift in 1945 from japan (some friend returned from).  forgot to put length almost 20cm x 11cm

and weight of 150g.  (so no stamps) any help siddies? 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Oh I thought there was a stamp near the bottom rim on the back side of the second photo? Guess I must have been imagining it.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

once again your right, just put on my New glasses (seriously I only just got them would explain why!) and it says MADEINJAPAN with a sun picture.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

OK, then I think it was probably made 1950's at the earliest. Made in Occupied Japan was the stamp from the end of WW2 until 1952; during this time and immediately after Japan produced a wide range of metal "souvenir" wares. Price? $20-25?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

made in occupied japan? it says made in japan
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Yes and that's why I think it had to be made AFTER "Occupied Japan" finished in 1952. So made some time say mid 1950's or after. Japan was not manufacturing anything decorative made of metal during the war.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply