Australian Flying Corps WWI fencing jacket uniform

eBay item number:

Can anyone enlighten me?  I have not been able to verify if the Australian Flying Corps., practised fencing, or whether there may have been a club within the Corp.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I can't help and this may sound a little silly.

Is it possible they wore these whilst practising fending / jousting with their rifles and a bayonnet attached?

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I cant find the ebay item number.

But from the photo, what makes you even say Australian Flying Corp?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

No kopes, you cant practise bayonet fitting against a person. a bayonet would go straight through that leather. we use body simulators for this.

BASH, SLASH, SMASH, ENQUARD

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Sure, I didn't mean they would actually spear but more for fending off and practising rifle against rifle.

I know it sounds silly, thought it may open the conversation for other means the garments may have been used.

You sound like you have defence experience, can you think of any other uses of fencing garments the military may have used in earlier days?

image host
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

eBay item number is 152061548579

Item was purchased at Tottenham in 1990 from the RAAF.  Believed to possibly be the only WWI item sold at Tottenham

They are stamped 1916 and the RAAF did not exist then

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMglDHI_ORs

maybe an australian was there????? may explain how it made its way to the UK

i am out of ideas

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMglDHI_ORs

maybe an australian was there????? may explain how it made its way to the UK

i am out of ideas

That is a fabulous video - thank you - quite emotive looking at those young men as they were 100 years ago.

(And, I think this would make Kopenhagen5's query of "Is it possible they wore these whilst practising fending / jousting with their rifles and a bayonnet attached?" and your reply "No kopes, you cant practise bayonet fitting against a person. a bayonet would go straight through that leather. we use body simulators for this. BASH, SLASH, SMASH, ENQUARD" in need of a little revision. PS: I'm hoping this is taken in a light hearted way as that is how I am typing it!!)

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply