Australian pottery

Please can anyone identify this item of pottery. I thought it was Lithgow and have gooled the site which has heaps of pictures but I could'nt see anything that looked like mine. There are no markings and both sides are glazed.I have two others like this but with different colours.All the colours are very bright.I want to list them for sale and don't want to describe them as something they are not.

I thank you all for your time, interest and information which is much appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Australian pottery

OK - there is a dish / plate that looks very like yours on the Powerhouse web site

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=111237

but it is unmarked and the attribution comes from the owner who donated it, along with 2 others (which are not at all similar.) The collection donated by Dr Robert J Lyons was most significant - but unlike other items of his which I can find on the PH web site, these leaf dishes have no references or collection notes to aid attribution.

I have several books, and like you have Googled extensively but I can't find any piece of Lithgow pottery that looks like this. While it is true that Lithgow did not mark all their pieces, in marking they were well ahead of any other contemporary Australian pottery manufacturer. The two leaf pattern pieces that that Marjorie Graham illustrates in her book both have the kangaroo mark. Also the colours don't look quite right to me for Lithgow but I am not an expert.

I would call it a majolica leaf dish / plate in the begonia pattern. If you google that you will find many similar in style. Of course you would be quite entitled  to put Lithgow? with a link to the very similar plate in the PH collection (and that is probably what I would do if I were selling it.) There are of course always quite a few unmarked items around that claim to be Lithgow - for obvious reasons they do not bring as much as marked pieces. And the market is  fraction of what it was 25 years ago, both in terms of collectors and prices achieved. But if it is indeed  the real deal, I am sure someone will spot it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Australian pottery

OK - there is a dish / plate that looks very like yours on the Powerhouse web site

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=111237

but it is unmarked and the attribution comes from the owner who donated it, along with 2 others (which are not at all similar.) The collection donated by Dr Robert J Lyons was most significant - but unlike other items of his which I can find on the PH web site, these leaf dishes have no references or collection notes to aid attribution.

I have several books, and like you have Googled extensively but I can't find any piece of Lithgow pottery that looks like this. While it is true that Lithgow did not mark all their pieces, in marking they were well ahead of any other contemporary Australian pottery manufacturer. The two leaf pattern pieces that that Marjorie Graham illustrates in her book both have the kangaroo mark. Also the colours don't look quite right to me for Lithgow but I am not an expert.

I would call it a majolica leaf dish / plate in the begonia pattern. If you google that you will find many similar in style. Of course you would be quite entitled  to put Lithgow? with a link to the very similar plate in the PH collection (and that is probably what I would do if I were selling it.) There are of course always quite a few unmarked items around that claim to be Lithgow - for obvious reasons they do not bring as much as marked pieces. And the market is  fraction of what it was 25 years ago, both in terms of collectors and prices achieved. But if it is indeed  the real deal, I am sure someone will spot it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Australian pottery

Thank you siddieswans, you are quite correct as you usually are. I checked the link and though there was not a colour photo the description fitted  the other leaf dish that I have including the X mark on the underside.When I get around to listing these items I will list as you suggested with a query mark and reference to the Powerhouse item.

Once again I thank you for your time and effort which is much appreciated. Regards, Patricia.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Australian pottery

It may pay you to join this FB site https://www.facebook.com/groups/australianpottery/

They discuss more vintage pottery there, and the members are pretty knowledgable about their subject.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply