Classic Art Ware - Debateable origins

I have been thinking about and discussing with various collectors the origins of Classic Art Ware pottery for quite some time now, and since the publication of the 2nd People's Potteries book and the attribution of the label to John Barnard Knight, and subsequently the attribution of some CAW pieces to JBK in an upcoming Australian Pottery auction, I have decided to "go public" in the hope of flushing some information, or at least informative debate out of the woodwork 🙂

As I have said else where, I don't agree with Dorothy Johnstons attribution of this label to John Barnard Knight, a Melbourne potter associated with the label Janet Grey. I, (and others, not having come to this conclusion in isolation, I have talked to various collectors), believe there is a connection with Delamere Art Pottery from Sydney; whether this was a label attached to their wares sold through a certain outlet or a range they sold themselves similarly to Diana's Hollywood or Pate's Regent labels no one is sure.

log vase.JPG caw more bits 004.jpg Photobucket
DSCF0405.JPG D-CAW jug.JPG CAW jug.jpg
Photobucket

Anyway - here are some photos for you to see labels on various CAW pieces that have always been attributed to Delamere (except the Koalas which are attributed only to CAW and the frog in the 1st pic which has a Delamere sticker). Aside from this there is continuity of glaze colour, and various motifs common over CAW and Delamere attributed pieces I can post pics of as well if anyone is interested, to support this theory.

Hoping there are some other CAW/Delamere collectors reading who might have info to share

cheers
Rae
Message 1 of 615
Latest reply
614 REPLIES 614

Re: Classic Art Ware - Debateable origins

Greetings from Canberra airport 🙂

My recent trip to the dog on the tuckerbox near Gundagai turned into a koala up a gumtree :^O

He's in my suitcase as I type this but I'll post a pic once I get him home.

It's nothing like the dragon, though!

Message 591 of 615
Latest reply

Finally found my camera!

He's a very cute little Koala!

Message 592 of 615
Latest reply

Mmmm, nice one OWL, perfect match for the one I have. Congratulations on an excellent find.

Wilma.

Message 593 of 615
Latest reply

30 pages of info here......... is it possible to BUMP this back to the front page and it NOT be consigned into ebay oblivion like a heck of a lot of other good reference material was when the Board's changed yonks ago ??  

Let's find out Smiley Happy

Message 594 of 615
Latest reply

It appears that worked YAAAAAAAY.  

Only prob I see from looking through just a couple of pages is that some photos may not be showing Smiley Sad  

However, unless contributors have deleted photos from their host site, the 'blue' links to the photos are still active.

Bonus!! Smiley Very Happy 

Message 595 of 615
Latest reply

Have just re-read the whole thing. As you said, very valuable reference. Actually I am amazed so many of the photo links are still active. What a shame the "alphabet" series has gone "poof!" - I did enjoy that.

Message 596 of 615
Latest reply

Just adding this to the mix - Classic Art Ware (Delamere) yacht. Went a long time unsold and unidentified till I spotted it 🙂 Do not ask me why ebay has rotated it to the side with no option for correction

20130807_144927.jpg

Message 597 of 615
Latest reply

I saved your pic Leonie........ went into my Edit thingo......... saved it there........ and rotated it  so that I could re-post it right way up BUT now my 'puter and ebay are not talking to each other........ hmmmmm that's strange.

Message 598 of 615
Latest reply

LOL . There it is,  

Ebay seems to be very sluggish ronight GAWD and it's not even a Friday either.

Message 599 of 615
Latest reply

Hello wise ladies Smiley Happy , its good that this thread was revived , and especially as i hadn't seen the Classic Art Ware boat before. i hadn't seen the previous posts where someone acquired a "Dragon Bowl' either. do you think there are any more out there ?

Message 600 of 615
Latest reply