Confused by wildly varying stamp prices?

Hi All,

I am trying to work out how to sell my granfathers stamp collection. There are quite a few Australian pre-decimal stamps.

The problem is, when i look up a particular stamp, for example; King George VI,  2 1/2D - Red, i am seeing prices from $9000.00 to $45.00 dollars,,, no distinguishable difference in the stamps as far as i can see, so, What the bleep is going on??

Any advice greatly appreciated?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Confused by wildly varying stamp prices?

Yes, looking at the sold price is the key.... i remembered that this morning before coming here, and i was going to report it, but suddenly two people already mentioned it - funny!

So looks like my Australian king george vi stamps will reliably sell for $50.00 ..... NEVER $9000.00, geez, what scammers they are, its amazing.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Likely just based their price on other items for sale not knowing the difference.  As you can see by the sold lists none sell for that amount.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

@termitex2000 wrote:

So looks like my Australian king george vi stamps will reliably sell for $50.00 ..... NEVER $9000.00, geez, what scammers they are, its amazing.

In this case it doesnt make them a scammer.  They advertise their price upfront,  people can do their research and make a decision to buy or not to buy.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply