Dating silver hallmarks

I would like to know the titles of some good silver hallmark reference  books you all use.   Can you help me please?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dating silver hallmarks

I would agree that these days it is hard to go past on-line sites. There is also

http://www.silvercollection.it/

which has changed its format (may work better on a device) and is a bit cumbersome to navigate on a PC but it does have some very useful sections. I find it has more data on individual maker's marks for UK hallmarks. Both have a Russian hallmarks page - as I understand it Russian marks can be a bit complex - as Russian silver can potentially now be quite valuable (and consequently seems to have been subject to faking) you may be better off googling and finding some sort of board or help forum where the members seem knowledgeable about Russian marks. There is a wealth of information out there and usually people are only too happy to share their knowledge.

http://www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html

again if you just google dutch silver marks you will find many other links.

I have a large library of reference books; to be honest the only hallmark BOOKS I use these days are my Australian ones - Australian Jewellers - Gold & Silversmiths Makers & Marks (Cavill et al) (the bible for Australian jewellery manufacturers up to WW2); then Marks on Australian Silver 1950-2005 (Erratt.)

The Little Book of Mexican Silver & Trade Marks (Hougart) (though most of this has now been transcribed and the marks can be identified by googling)

and an oldie but a goodie - Collectible Silver Jewelry Identification and Values (Rezazadeh) which obviously has a much smaller range of identification of silver marks for a range of countries but also has a large number of very useful illustrations of pieces which can help identify styles, approx dates and countries of origin even for unmarked pieces of jewellery. ( Of course being a 2001 publication the prices are now hardly relevant - if they ever were.)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Dating silver hallmarks

World wide? or specific countries / areas? Any specific time frames? For serious collecting or just general recognition?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Dating silver hallmarks

I have a few books but they are quite old  having been bought over 40 years ago. I wish to update my library and also list some of my items.   I have English, Russian and Dutch items that require identifying and dates.

Thank you for your response.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Dating silver hallmarks

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Dating silver hallmarks

I would agree that these days it is hard to go past on-line sites. There is also

http://www.silvercollection.it/

which has changed its format (may work better on a device) and is a bit cumbersome to navigate on a PC but it does have some very useful sections. I find it has more data on individual maker's marks for UK hallmarks. Both have a Russian hallmarks page - as I understand it Russian marks can be a bit complex - as Russian silver can potentially now be quite valuable (and consequently seems to have been subject to faking) you may be better off googling and finding some sort of board or help forum where the members seem knowledgeable about Russian marks. There is a wealth of information out there and usually people are only too happy to share their knowledge.

http://www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html

again if you just google dutch silver marks you will find many other links.

I have a large library of reference books; to be honest the only hallmark BOOKS I use these days are my Australian ones - Australian Jewellers - Gold & Silversmiths Makers & Marks (Cavill et al) (the bible for Australian jewellery manufacturers up to WW2); then Marks on Australian Silver 1950-2005 (Erratt.)

The Little Book of Mexican Silver & Trade Marks (Hougart) (though most of this has now been transcribed and the marks can be identified by googling)

and an oldie but a goodie - Collectible Silver Jewelry Identification and Values (Rezazadeh) which obviously has a much smaller range of identification of silver marks for a range of countries but also has a large number of very useful illustrations of pieces which can help identify styles, approx dates and countries of origin even for unmarked pieces of jewellery. ( Of course being a 2001 publication the prices are now hardly relevant - if they ever were.)

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Dating silver hallmarks

Thank you so much I appreciate your information. Best wishes to you.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Dating silver hallmarks

Thank you very much for this detailed information. It is very much
appreciated that you have provided so much information. My best wishes to you!
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply