Glass cruet set

I think this little cruet set is just stunning. Love the shade of green the glass is. Glass is quite thick. I am not sure if the lids are original or not...they are black glass & screw on perfecly. Would anyone know approx age or any other info at all you could share with me. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Glass cruet set

@yodablu wrote:

I think this little cruet set is just stunning. Love the shade of green the glass is. Glass is quite thick. I am not sure if the lids are original or not...they are black glass & screw on perfecly. Would anyone know approx age or any other info at all you could share with me. Thank you in advance.

Google Green Depression Glass Cruet Set. I think yours may be Uranium Glass with Bakelite Lids. !930's ish ?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Glass cruet set

What is typically called "depression glass" 1930's - probably to 1950's. You are very fortunate if your original black glass tops have survived intact  - see eBay completed item

201255076131 for similar tops. If it is uranium glass (not all green glass is - you would need a black light torch to tell)  it would sell for more.

I am away from home; from memory there are several similar illustrated in A Century of Household Glassware in Australia 1880 to 1980 - it may be Crown. If no-one gets back to you with anything more definitive, I will check the book when I get home over the weekend.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Glass cruet set

Thank you siddies. I tried google but was not having much luck. I dont have a black light to check if uranium...but will invest in one.  All 3 lids are in pristine condition with no chips or cracks.

I really appreciate your help & sharing of knowledge.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Glass cruet set

You can buy a black light torch on eBay (I did!) They are handy to take with you when buying, and are essential for taking photos to show up the uranium effect.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Glass cruet set

Purchased a black light & YAY it glows. It does look purple when under the light though...I thought it would glow green. Is this normal or something to do with my light. Thank you

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Glass cruet set

Depression Uranium glass (so-called) really should glow madly - here is one under normal light

Jug.jpg

here is same one under a black torch

Jug black light.jpg

I would suspect it is not uranium glass - much depression glass wasn't. Here I am quoting another "If the Seller says that it glows purple, then you know that the piece is just reflecting the purple hue from the UV light". I am not at home with my torch so I can't test that, but a depression uranium piece should glow green madly - in this case the torch would have been several feet away. (Hint - a bathroom with no windows and door shut is best for taking photos. Torch in left hand, camera on tripod worked with right hand.)

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Glass cruet set

I was holding the torch directly underneath the piece...maybe I will try from a little bit of distance.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply