Help with 2 vintages watches please

I have 2 vintage watches that I would like to get some help and info on, please

I am trying to decide if they are worth restoring before I sell or if I should sell as is

The first is a Lady Maximus gold watch, has mother of pearl face, still ticks but may not keep time and is stamped 21722 on the back. There is also the band that was attached to it when it was used back in the 60's but not sure if it is the original

The second is a Rone Sportsmans gold watch, has no glass face, ticks but again may not keep time, is stamped .375 and has some small dings around edges. Not sure if band is original as feels tinny

Both says Swiss Made

Thankyou 🙂

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Depends if you have the inclination and a good swiss watch maker.

(Don't use shopping centre watch repairers for good watches)

Otherwise I would sell as is before spending a lot of money for little gain.

They are not a Rolex, LeCoultre or Patek Philippe.

Good working condition ones of these seem to be selling for $100-200.

So unless they are mint you would spend at least that for servicing and won't get it back IMO.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I would entirely agree. I would think they would probably sell for their scrap gold value, whatever that may be. If you do decide to sell on eBay, I would advise to make sure that NOT WORKING is prominently somewhere in the title, in the condition report, and in the description. The fact that the watches may run when wound is not evidence of proper working order. Do make sure that the Lady Maximus is solid gold and not 9ct silver lined, and the same for both bands. There should be a clear 9ct or .375 mark. Scrap buyers will want to know exactly what parts are gold; watch buyers will need to know that the watches will need to be overhauled by a professional if they are to be used as an accurate timepiece. If I sell a manual watch that appears to be running, I say that in the description but also prominently state that as I am not a watchmaker, it is being sold in non working order. (After an acrimonious exchange with a buyer who purchased a vintage manual watch - I had said in the description "has been running and keeping good time for 24 hours after winding but I have no idea how long it will continue to run for after you buy it." She wanted to return it a month later when it stopped running.) Good luck. 

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thankyou both for your help

I should have stated that I was thinking of selling them as-is for either parts or for restoration, if I did not have them restored or of having them looked at to be restored and then left to the kids (teens) but not sure if I would be wasting my time and $$ going that way haha

I think I will put them back in the box with the pile of other vintage watches that my late mother decided to keep and think about it another day

cheers again for your help

🙂

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply