I have a vintage (1944) engagement ring with 18ct patt engraved on the inside

Can anyone tell me what the patt means

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

PALD = Palladium (or sometimes PALL)

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/What-are-common-abbreviations-for-gold-jewelry-or-silver-jewelry-/1000000...

It is often used to make the alloy of white gold.

"White gold is an alloy of gold and some white metals such as silver and palladium. White gold can be 18ct, 14ct, 9ct or any karat. For example, 18ct yellow gold is made by mixing 75% gold (750 parts per thousand) with 25% (250 parts per thousand) other metals such as copper and zinc. 18ct white gold is made by mixing 75% gold with 25% other metals such as silver and palladium. So the amount of gold is the same but the alloy is different."

http://gilletts.com.au/white-gold-platinum-i-13.html

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Looking at your ring, I would suggest it is the setting that is white gold, the band being yellow gold.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks so much for the info.  Pald not patt...   Does it make a difference to the price, I am going to sell it.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

From what I have read, white gold made with palladium is rated more highly than white gold made with nickel. But it is in any case 18ct gold, whatever the alloy is. But I would think the real value of your ring lies with the stone - unless you are a gemmologist, I don't suppose you are really able to assess it. It appears to be a solitaire diamond in what is called an "illusion" setting, so it really depends on the size and quality of the diamond (I am assuming it is a diamond.) Have a look at sold prices for vintage solitaire diamond 18ct rings. Good luck.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

You people are great...  Thank you all so much for your info and advice

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply