I need someone to translate the writing to the base of this bottle shaped vase.

5kazam
Community Member

Is it Japanese or Chinese?   My thoughts are Japanese.  The writing is incised (vegemited to make it easier to read), making it, to me anyway, more likely to be Japanese.  It's quite tall - 44cm.  Base photo in second post

2337 (2).JPG

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

5kazam
Community Member

2376.JPG

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

It's Chinese.

It reads, Jingdezhen small town

It's one of the most famous Chinese ceramic districts and made ceramics for the Royals more than 1000 years ago back to Han Dynasty.

In recent times they make a lot of commercial wares exported and many are copied so it may be difficult to tell if it is genuine Jingdezhen wares or not.

I have been told by Chinese even if it doesn't come from the district, Chinese manufacturers still put that mark on.

Cheating in other words.

image host
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks Kopes.  I was quite convinced it was from Japan, as they are more likely to have an incised signature rather than a stamp.

Still it can go and sit next to another Chinese vase I have, which would have to be one of the nicest pieces of imported ceramic I've seen.  And that from someone who collects Australian pottery only!!!

And at least my mystery is now solved.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Just been doing a bit of googling.  I love your reference to 'small town' - 1.5million.  Still I suppose that is small by Chinese standards.

I've actually sent an email to the Jingdezhen Pottery workshop people to see if they could verify whether it's genuine or not.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply