Is this a Bitossi Cat?

5kazam
Community Member

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this IS a Bitossi Cat.  I have seen others on the net that are exactly the same shape, but usually glazed in Rimini blue, and the design to the body is different.  Or could it be a look alike?

Thanks

5kazam

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

i would say yes.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

sometimes there is only a sticker on bitossi , a U.S. collector would possibly look for a yellow RAYMOR sticker on the bottom as they were the importers and retailers.  the sticker on this barrel only shows 'made in italy' but the importers/ retailers name is no longer visible unfortunately

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

5kazam
Community Member

Thanks for your information.  I was SO hoping it was a REAL Bitossi.

Love your lidded pot.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

i love the cat too , i have a friend who uses his 'brady bunch cat' (the  yellow glaze with a flat, round face and cylindrical body) as a doorstop .. which is not a good idea as they are fragile and the glaze  comes away easily .he might sell it to me one day. i don't know how many cats they re-issued in 2006 , but not as many styles as originally made.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

5kazam
Community Member

Been meaning to do this for ages.  Do you have any idea what my Bitossi cat would be worth?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

not really 🙂 but i know (from watching) that the demand for this kind of thing is there, its a matter of luck on ebay it seems in terms of How Much . the usual cats in rimini blue and turquoise seem to be popular,  other glazes seem harder to sell in pots .. i'm not sure if thats the case with figural pieces like a cat .

sorry i cant be of any real help.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

I would say yes. This seated cat is usually found in Rimini Blue, however there are a few out there that are other colors. I have seen a green one, and now this. This is hand made (you can tell by the imperfections), and usually Bitossi pieces have "Italy" on bottom with 4 digits. A sticker for these pieces is uncommon. How tall is it? That would help. The detail that clinches it for me is the 3 whiskers on each side, a hallmark for these particular cats. They are rare indeed. Especially a WHITE one!! Congrats

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

Nice of you to help but after more than 3 years, don't think the OP is going to be back on this querie.

image host
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Is this a Bitossi Cat?

I don't even own it anymore!!

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply