Listing aboriginal items.

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone help me in regards to listing a couple of Aboriginal items which seem to have all sorts of rules and regulations. They're left to us from a Deceased estate so we don't have any identifying or authenticity certificates. I have 2 grinding stones?, I have a wooden lizard carving and also another bigger stone that could have been used for cutting. 

Thank you very much.

Debra. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you very much definately won't be going overseas thats for sure. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I am not an expert and have never listed Aboriginal artifacts like these.

However I have looked at quite a few current and ended listings under Colllectables /Cultural Religious - like yours a pokerwork animal, and some grinding stones, and they do not appear to have any more authenticity than you have - "deceased estate." One specifically said "Previous ownership unknown." So I am not sure why you think you would be unable to list them.

If you have some reason to suspect they are quite valuable, I would suggest you take them to a bricks and mortar Auction House - most would have a tribal expert who could advise you. Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Hi there,

thank you very much for your help. I've tried listing one of them and a warning policy notice comes up at the end so I thought I'd better not list them. Maybe I will and see what happens I guess.

Thanks again,

Debra. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

There are standard warnings that comes up for listing many things - original art works, things made of bone, military medals and uniforms - usually they just say IF things are such and such, you need to be aware of so and so.

If others seem to have no problem with listing such items, I would have a go. Use the same sort of wording and category as something similar (check current and completed items.)   I regularly ignore such warnings when I list things, as the warnings do not apply to my particular items (or at least I consider that they don't.) If you REALLY upset eBay, they will cancel the listing anyway.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks so much I think I'll just give it a go and see what happens. Like you said they can only take it down.

Kind regards,

Debra.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I may be wrong, but I think the biggest problem with listing aboriginal artifacts on eBay is the chance of exporting prohibited or restricted items. If you hope to export them, you need to have the artifacts examined and certified by an Expert Examiner from the National Cultural Heritage Committee; Class A aboriginal artifacts can never be exported, Class B artifacts require a permit for export, anything less than 20 years old requires no pernits at all.

Buying and selling such artifacts within Australia is perfectly legal, so all you really need to do is to make sure you aren't leaving an option for overseas bidders to buy it.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Very good point - I hadn't thought of that.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you very much definately won't be going overseas thats for sure. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply