Need Help Identifying What I think Is A Cap Badge

Hi Everyone and a Happy New Year.

I aquired this badge at an estate clearance sale but I have no idea what it is other than I think it is of a cap. Can anyone help Please?

Thank You

Paddy

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OK having seen the back I don't think it has any military connection, nor does it look like it was meant to attach to material of any kind. It is a bit hard to see but it looks like the attachments are small bent over metal clips, perhaps with a small securing pin through the middle? This to me suggests attaching onto wood or perhaps leather. I would stick with my original thought - a monogram for part of a desk set, part of a gents toiletry case, some piece of luggage, the cover of something?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I am by no means an expert but I wouldn't think it is a cap badge of the military type. They usually have some sort of military symbol like a crown, or a lion, or a gun, or a banner with a motto.

To me this looks like a personal monogram - it seems only to have letters (initials) without any other symbol. The letters may be IH or HI or IHI - you may have a better idea. Does it have any metal fineness stamp - how does it attach at the back?

As you think it is a cap badge I am assuming it is quite large - about 5 cm long? Victorian gentlemen (and less commonly ladies) had personal monograms attached to all sorts of things, from the covers of books to desk accessories to personal grooming accessories to travelling bags.

Someone else may have a better idea.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Yes is is approx 4 cm long It used to have 4 pins on the back but one has broken off. There are no Markings that I can see Thank You for your information at least it gives me something. I have attached a Picture of the back.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

OK having seen the back I don't think it has any military connection, nor does it look like it was meant to attach to material of any kind. It is a bit hard to see but it looks like the attachments are small bent over metal clips, perhaps with a small securing pin through the middle? This to me suggests attaching onto wood or perhaps leather. I would stick with my original thought - a monogram for part of a desk set, part of a gents toiletry case, some piece of luggage, the cover of something?

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thank You For your help.

Paddy

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply