New $2.00 coins with colour

Hello coin collectors,

Just a quick question for you about the new $2.00 coins with purple colour on them. I got two handed over in my Husbands shop last weekend and I wonder if it is worth keeping ones that have been circulated? I look at coins now from reading so much on this chat board and I put them to one side as I am quite impressed with the colour and design. I am just interested to know if they have a value greater than there actual value?

I will be very interested to hear your opinions on this,

Pip

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New $2.00 coins with colour

EM, Re - poppy $2 coin.

The coloured coin, of which there will be half a million, will be circulated nationally through the RSL Red Poppy Appeal. The non-coloured poppy coin, to be produced in a minimum run of five million, will be distributed through the normal channels via banks and retail outlets over the coming months.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

It's always tricky to try to predict which coins are going to appreciate in value significantly above face value. But as a general rule, coins released into actual circulation are generally issued in sufficiently high numbers that there are plenty of them out there to meet colelctor demand, and so they rarely obtain much more than face value, especially in circulated condition.

For this particular coin, with the "gimmick" of the colourized blob, I guess the future value prospects largely will depend on how the gimmick is perceived, and whether or not it is repeated. If the mint follows Canada's lead and churns out a new colourized circulation coin each year, I suspect their novelty will wear off fater than the pad-printed ink does, and they won't hold much interest for collectors. If this is the only one they ever make, then there might be perpetual novelty value in them.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

The value for a circulated $2 coin is basically face value as the Canberra mint has produced 2 million of these commemorating The Queens 60 year reign.

Mint or proof coins will have more value especially over time.

If you find examples that are about uncirculated, they would be good to hang on to and pass onto the little ones.

image host
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Thank you both. I was just curious.
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

I haven't seen them yet so was googling and saw there was a red poppy coin released last year which I also haven't seen and wondered if that was only released as a collectable coin?

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Yes, same here. I saw it was released but have not seen one turn up in change yet

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

EM, Re - poppy $2 coin.

The coloured coin, of which there will be half a million, will be circulated nationally through the RSL Red Poppy Appeal. The non-coloured poppy coin, to be produced in a minimum run of five million, will be distributed through the normal channels via banks and retail outlets over the coming months.

image host
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Circulated ones don't go for as much asvthe uncirculated as I unfortunately found out as I got one incchange and I noticed the top half of the 3 in 2013 was close to the coin surface which is usually created by the die being filled. I don't know if I only got $4 for it due to not many people seeing it or because cameras on mobiles take poor pictures of coins

Anyway they may be worth holding onto for the future as they may have errors or people may buy if they can't afford the uncirculated variety
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

These $2 coins are now selling between $10-$25 

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Which ones zelly888 ? The poppy ones or the purple ones ?

Thanks, in advance of your reply

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply