Oil painting from around 1950's. Need help with artist.

Hi. This painting is from around the 1950's.  I am not sure of the artist, but I've seen similar paintings somewhere.

Any ideas please?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Hi,nice painting,the scene is sortta familiar is'nt it

Have you looked behind the frame on the painting for a siggi,it may be hiding there.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Hi there. Thanks.  Well, I had a knife poised to cut the backing paper, and prise the nails, but wondered if it would

damage the authenticity of it.  The nails are a bit rusty, and very thin. Likely to snap really. But I would love to have a look

at the bottom of the painting to see if a signature is hidden. There is very faint, almost illegible writing on the back of the frame, but seems to be an address only.  I might have a go at it anyway, if it appears that the board extends beneath the frame to any extent, leaving room for a signature.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I suppose you have a reason for assuming 1950's - to me the style of the frame is anywhere 1950's to 1980's, even 1990's.

To my eye the style of the painting (figures, buildings) owes something to Pro Hart, but I would think once his paintings became popular, there were many others producing works in a similar style.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you.  I agree.  My thoughts were similar to Pro Hart (but the red sky, and the trees) are very different.  Also similar in ways to Drysdale, the sky at least.   I do feel it is from the 50's.  (the rusty wire hanger, nails etc) and was wondering how popular this naive style might have been back then. It would depend I suppose on whether there were artists (as above) already famous, for someone to be emulating the style.  But I do find it quite intriguing!

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Also Frank Harding but this one seems to lack the detail that both FH and Pro Hart would have.

image host
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Hi. Thanks. I just had a look at Frank Harding's work, and yes, it does seem to lack the detail (for both artists). It is probably an amateur effort, but sometimes it's worth a try to see if it's recognized at all.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Bite the bullet - it's the ' artwork' that you wish to glean info on - framing and backing can be done quite easily and to a very high standard - it's very nice...
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Well done Wyvern

I hope it is by him for you.

I didnt think it could be by just anyone picking up a brush.

He seems to charge good money for a painting so "well done"

Did you manage to take the back off?

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply