Posting guides - nice ones only allowed

elgee60
Community Member

Just had a guide bounced by Ebay. It seems one is not allowed to mention specific obviously fake collectible items being misrepresented as geniune. Bad news for collectors who may benefit from such guides, but OK for Ebay - their revenue is not impacted!

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Posting guides - nice ones only allowed, Re: Posting guides - nice ones only allowed

:_|

~ Mon ~
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Re: Posting guides - nice ones only allowed, Re: Posting guides - nice ones only allowed

Elgee, i hope you didnt actually name the sellers as this may be reason why the thread was bounced. Do not even put in links, just a name of the item only, for others to search.

Most SERIOUS collectors would be able to spot a fake item from ten keyboards away anyway. The advise you give should also include something about, to start your collection go to a reputable dealer first and by a few small entry level items. This way you get to feel/touch/smell etc etc the real deal before jumping in feet first into the eBay quagmire of fake and reproduction items that are out there.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

elgee60
Community Member

Thanks, bsal6160. I did not in fact identify the seller or the item number, but I did spell out this guy's 'modus operandi', which is cobbling military items together, including items he buys under a second (private) ID, that are clearly sold as repros then misrepresenting them, on his 'seller listings, as genuine.

This scoundrel is well known in the serious militaria collecting community, and he's taken so much flak over some ridiculous claims that he's even disabled his 'ask seller a question' feature. Apparently being unable to ask questions and the fact that his sales details are kept private doesn't seem to ring enough warning bells and there are always trusting buyers out there to 'suck in'.

. . . and it's no use bringing this to Ebay's attention, they're only interested in trade-mark violations that may impact them legally or circumvention type scams that impact their revenue. Protecting buyers . . . hmmmm, not that important!

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

elgee60
Community Member

. . . shoulda mentioned, I did describe one of his fake items though not the item number

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply