Reporting fake 1930 penny's works

Previously fake 1930 penny's being auctioned have been sold to unsuspecting buyers, proven through feedback posted on these items. I have personally reported these items as have others to see them sold anyway. I am absolutely stoked tonight that 2 particular fake 1930 penny's were removed by ebay after only 15 minutes of me reporting them. This is an excellent step forward ebay and makes me more confident in purchasing items from this site. Ebayer users, this should reinstall faith in ebay once more that reporting fraudulent or fake items does work and they do get noticed quickly. Keep reporting these items ppl 🙂
Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Old thread, but still very relevant for people thinking about buying 1930 pennies on eBay.

What kind of a person pays $510 for a 1930 penny with the expectation they are going to get something real?

This is a $15k to 20K MINIMUM coin if genuine.

Talk about the greedy leading the stupid.

ONLY buy this coin from long term dealers or recognized large coin auction houses.

Be prepared to pay a REALISTIC price and $510 ain't it.

No-ONE who thinks they have a genuine 1930 penny is going to let it go for a price like this.

Sheesh, ever heard of due dilligence, talk about fools and their money being easily parted..

View solution in original post

Message 33 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Yes I agree that is a joke that someone would pay that much and the posting looks designed to fool an inexperienced buyer. It does make small mention in the description that it is a fantasy coin, however the title makes no mention of this and is misleading. My understanding is that replicas and reproductions need to be stamped with 'copy' or related wording.
Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

And in answer to how much is a fake penny worth, I looked into this a while ago and discovered that China still manufacture these brand new and made to look old, as well as other hard date penny's like 1946 and 1925 and for the small price and $2 each! And it doesn't stop there they also manufacture silver coins like centenary florins that look authentic, but aren't even made from silver. Pretty scary hey!
Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

i think it deceptive at best. its good to know reporting the fakes has had some success though, i'm not a coin collector but these are so obviously fakes that i have no trouble recognising them. especially as they are so rare as to make a supposedly genuine coin appearing an extreme long shot. as i said , i'm not  in any way knowledgeable when it comes to coins but i doubt a genuine coin would ever be sold here.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Genuine 1930 pennies have been listed on ebay (although I'm not sure if any have sold), but of course they have been greatly outnumbered by fakes.

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

I stand corrected . (and a little surprised) .  thanks for the information, i wasn't aware of that.

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

Unfortunately there are plenty of fakes, I report them to e-bay reguarly; however they always seem to continue. Until the auction endS. It is not unusual to see the same accounts selling them reguarly. Seem all they have to do is make a statement that the coun is not certified or authenticated regardless of wether it is counterfeit or not.E-bay advise that they do tell you the outcome of the report, that these keep getting listed with be advised as a replica or fake answers that. On average a fake is added for auction line this on a near daily basis now
Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

I know your frustration. I have been reporting fake coins for years and its not just 1930 pennies, there are so many that it boggles the mind with many not even being scarce or rare dates but common dates as well like this 322598970569

I have even found some fake coins in fake NGC slabs so it is even more "buyer beware" than ever.

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Have found several fake one ounce gold coins in fake slabs lately like this one 322656561012 which will probably sell for about $1600 to $1700 and is nothing but a worthless gold plated piece of fake rubbish. I have reported this and others that ebay are doing nothing about. If buyers don't know what they are buying they should get educated before wasting their money.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply