Valuing and selling Fine China

I was talking to a friend in RL today who has quite a large collection of fine china, including a lot of Wedgewood (not just the blue and white stuff) that she has gathered over the years.  Many pieces were bought or gifted while she and her late husband worked in the industry.

She now wants to value it and probably sell a lot.  She is not confident online and would prefer to deal with people face to face and in B&M.  Where would be a good place for her to start this big and (for her) somewhat scary task? 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Sorry - RL = Real Life???

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I'm like siddies, wondering where in Australia she is ?

image host
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Canberra would be the closest reasonably sized place.  I suggested Bowral/Southern Highlands area maybe?

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:

I was talking to a friend in RL today who has quite a large collection of fine china, including a lot of Wedgewood (not just the blue and white stuff) that she has gathered over the years.  Many pieces were bought or gifted while she and her late husband worked in the industry.

She now wants to value it and probably sell a lot.  She is not confident online and would prefer to deal with people face to face and in B&M.  Where would be a good place for her to start this big and (for her) somewhat scary task? 

Mmmm...... Agree with siddieswans and kopenhagen - more information is needed. 

If your  friend was in Canberra I could suggest a couple of auction places that might be worth her considering.  I imagine other places would have similiar setups.  But......in my experience these auction prices could be lower than your friend might be expecting she will get........it is awfully hard to achieve a "price" for quality items, Wedgwood or not. 

I recently bought 20+ pieces of Wedgwood "Ice Rose" dinnerware at auction for less than $30 which, if I was selling it on ebay, would have been too much for me to pay.  But, as it was for my mother-in-law, I considered it a bargain.  If I had bought this to resell I may have done well had the "right" buyer been looking but more than likely it would have languished until I had reduced the price to something like the $30 I had paid.

Edit: Just saw your reply - close to Canberra!!!

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

OK tricky – I was hoping we were talking about a major city. There are a couple of auction houses in Canberra – afraid I know nothing about them. But definitely worth checking out. We have a house in the Highlands – although there are a couple of firms which conduct auctions occasionally, I wouldn’t be going down that path.  Of course there are very reputable dealers in both places who could value the collection for them – but to what end? I assume sale is the desired outcome. Hopefully we are talking about items that are pre WW2 or older. Any auction house who regularly deals in antiques / collectables / vintage should be able to value the items for auction – but if your friend decides NOT to go to auction with them, they should be prepared to pay for their time – make enquiries before hand.

I go to auctions most weekends, buy often and sell sometimes through auction houses; in my opinion there is no value in shopping around with auction houses. It is not in an auction house’s advantage to down play a collection’s value – after all, they are hoping to sell it and get the commission. However if your friend is some distance away from auction houses (for example those in Canberra) it may be difficult to persuade someone to come and look at them. Could they be packed up and transported for valuation? There will be some difference in commission charged for sellers but probably not a great deal. I sell ceramics on eBay and it is difficult; I presume these items are in very good condition (display cabinet?) but there is still all the photography, packing and posting – not easy. Almost every auction house has on-line bidding these days, which means that anything truly rare, truly desirable is on view to the world.

Sadly at auction every week I see whole collections of “fine china” – Wedgwood, Royal Doulton, Lladro, Royal Crown Derby, Royal Worcester etc - sell for very modest prices. The age bracket who appreciated and collected these items is selling up for various reasons (and also sadly dying) and there is no younger collector base to pick up the baton. Also the advent of the Internet has well and truly demonstrated that rare / limited edition items that were once thought to be VERY limited are actually available to those who want them. Where people once bought from at a premium from antique dealers because “we may never see another one”, they now realise that “never” may be next week. Of course truly unique and valuable pieces will always attract good prices, and particular styles can be “fashionable”, just from a decorator standpoint. I hope it is not the case but your friend may have to take a realistic deep breath over what their collection is worth. I wish them luck.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@siddieswans wrote:

OK tricky – I was hoping we were talking about a major city..........I assume sale is the desired outcome. ..........

.................It is not in an auction house’s advantage to down play a collection’s value............Almost every auction house has on-line bidding these days, which means that anything truly rare, truly desirable is on view to the world.

Sadly at auction every week I see whole collections of “fine china” – Wedgwood, Royal Doulton, Lladro, Royal Crown Derby, Royal Worcester etc - sell for very modest prices. ...........but your friend may have to take a realistic deep breath over what their collection is worth. I wish them luck.

Couldn't agree more with what you have written siddieswans.  Yes, best to have modest expectations as to price/value and be pleasantly surprised if they are exceeded. 

I think it is Interesting as to people's motivations/expectations in selling/disposing of their treasures; as to whether it is the $ value that is important or perhaps whether their things are going to continue to be loved and valued or maybe they just want to clear it out and anything they get is a bonus.  I'm more of a garage sale person and am always struck by the variety of sellers; they run the gamut of wanting close to or more than retail for their things to those who embarass me by how little they want -  for some the things have no residual value and they are just into clearing out and having a fun morning.

The two auction places I know of and sometimes go to in Canberra are Auction Barn (www.theauctionbarn.com.au) and C & G Auctions (www.candgauctions.com.au) - both in Fyshwick and both have online bidding.  Have no idea how far they would travel to value a collection.  And, like you, have seen many many fine things go for modest amounts - which is probably why I started to sell a bit on ebay.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you for your detailed reply.  I shall pass on what you say.  Do you know of reputable auction houses or dealers in Canberra she could approach? I imagine most would be, but names would be good. She did say she was prepared to pack them up and take them up there. Feel free to PM me.

I think that is the information she was really looking for.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Samjess has given you a couple of names which should be helpful. Not sure how often they have auctions but perhaps your friend could watch a couple on-line and see if they successfully sell items like hers. If it were me I would take a couple of group photos and email any likely-looking auction house "This is my collection of blah. I have approx ??? pieces in very good? condition. I would like to sell them - are you interested? I live in ??? but I could bring them in for you to look at." This could save a wasted journey if any particular auction house feels it is not their cup of tea.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I should also have said that if your friend has any boxes /original packaging and paperwork (like certificates) that came with the items, she should mention that in her email, as they will help the price achievable. 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply