What is this old Chinese picture called?

Hi. I came across this old picture. It seems to be on parchment.  It is a lovely portrait, with graphite. I'm not sure about the background. But I was wondering what you would call it as a listing. It's very difficult to get a clear photo of it unfortunately.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: What is this old Chinese picture called?

I think the title is "Old Hsu" in which case it could be a portrait of Hsu Yun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsu_Yun

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you. Yes, it would definately seem possible.  I am just wondering what the actual medium of the portrait is. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

You would be the best judge of that. I would just wonder whether it is an original - if you Google Hsu Yun - Images, you will find that he was a popular subject.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks, I've had a look at the images, and see that he was a very popular subject. As to whether it's an original, I cannot tell, though my instinct is that it is, and the parchment and frame seem quite old, but I cannot tell how it was done at all. Would you have any suggestions as to how to tell if it's original?

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

If it is a print, you may be able to see the individual print dots if you look through a strong magnifying glass.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks. It's definately not a print, I'm just not sure how it is done, or what it would be called. It is on parchment, and looks to be graphite only, on a brown background of some sort.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply