What's it called and what is it for?

Hoping someone can tell me a bit about this item. l've spent well over an hour searching around online and haven't even come close to finding out what this is.

Standing at 6.5cms high, the base is 9cms across the middle and the top flat bit is 4.5cms across.

Stamped with ® AG925 (which is stirling silver, yes?)

Nothing on the base other than a circle of blue felt.

l've tried google keywords in: stand, silver, grapes, pedestal...can't find even a lead to go on.

Anyone have any ideas? l had one of these before and listed/sold it for $14, it sold within minutes of me listing it so l thought l should do some homework on it.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: What's it called and what is it for?

I would suggest it is a candle stand - the grooved top allows the melted wax better purchase when you place the candle on it.

One Israeli company that marks their plated goods '925' is Karshi using a process which they call 925 Electroforming.

Ad astra per alia porci — To the stars on the wings of a pig
Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

just letting people know that many so called silver pieces marked 925 have no silver whatever as i had a few pieces marked 925 and had em tested and had no silver whatever,tested using the electronic tester which tells the percentage of what metals in an items,didnt think it was legal to mark items 925 when they have no silver content at all?

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

@cactusmike71070 wrote:

just letting people know that many so called silver pieces marked 925 have no silver whatever as i had a few pieces marked 925 and had em tested and had no silver whatever,tested using the electronic tester which tells the percentage of what metals in an items,didnt think it was legal to mark items 925 when they have no silver content at all?

I think the fact that you can buy items like "925 Steel Punch Jewelry Ring Marking Stamp Tool" on eBay sort of answers your question. Almost anything can be (and is) reproduced / faked these days - metals marked, stones heat treated, copies made of exclusive brand name items, "antiques" artificially aged. As always, if it seems to good to be true, it no doubt is. A simple magnet test is often the best for doubtful silver items. There will always be buyers however who are happy to buy because they don't care about authenticity - they are simply after "the look". And sadly others who believe in fairy stories and who are disappointed when their $1.99 "gold" ring with Free Post starts to flake and peel.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

What is a magnet test and how is it conducted?

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Sterling silver is not magnetic, so if something supposed to be silver is attracted to a magnet, it is a sign that it may be something like nickel, or simply coated with silver. Not a definitive test (a catch for example may have a steel part) but a quick way of testing things at markets or fairs. You can buy special silver testing magnets (look on eBay) but I have never tried one.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

another way to test for silver is ice test as solid silver is best conductor so put an ice block on silver and it melts much quicker than on any other metal,just rough idea though,magnets sometimes dont stick to silver plated items usally as well

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply