Would really appreciate any advice on this Vase marked K & Co B- Late Mayers

I  picked up this pretty little vase from a Deceased Estate for $2.00.  I have researched the markings on the base which state "Peonies" K & Co B with the date 1790,  and so far have only managed to find the following information:

Did futher research and discovered that if you have a piece of pottery with the date "1790" printed on the bottom, then one thing you can be sure of - it was not made in 1790.

The earliest date it can be is 1870, and it may be as late as 1936.

It was not unusual for potters to try to establish an early date, to try to give their ware some sense of history and value. The occupiers of the Dale Hall pottery works used the date "1790" - which was the date the works were first built by Joseph Stubbs.
The wording "LATE MAYERS" refers to Thomas, John & Joshua Mayer who operated from 1843

Checked out ebay and only found tureens, creamers and plates but no vases made by this company. Sorry for all the waffle, but all I want to know is it worth anything at all?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

From what I can see this firm made mostly (if not exclusively) table wares and some bedroom suites. What you could have is a toothbrush holder from a larger bedroom suite - basin, jug, soap dish etc. Looks say 1890-1910? Peonies became very fashionable when the Japonaise craze swept England. The colours do not look very attractive (black on white?) If condition is very good then maybe $20-25 but you would have to find someone who wanted it. Still for $2 its got to be a good buy. Good luck if you decide to sell.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Update - just saw your pic on the other post and yes I would say it is a toothbrush holder. Transfer printed - those colours are called "flow blue" . You have done all the work on who made it.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. Not sure whether I want to sell it or not, it's such a pretty little thing & it does look lovely when full of flowers. Wouldn't dare putting it in our bathroom, my Grand-daughter is a walking disaster. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply