Yellow bakewells 'Beulah ware' canisters

darsha84
Community Member
Hi there!

I recently purchased a part set of bakewells of Sydney canisters. They are the pale yellow 'beulah ware' and what's missing is the flour canister. I'm relatively new to the pottery scene and from what I'm managed to find is that they seem quite rare in this colour???? Ive looked all over the place for aflour canister and it's just not happening ๐Ÿ™‚ what I'm wondering is, is it quite hard to source these canisters? Does anyone know of somewhere that may have one? Do they come up on eBay regularly or anywhere for that matter?
Any help is very much appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Shari
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Well, all I can say is good luck!

You will have to join me and do a saved search with a daily email of new listings for canisters in Australian Pottery - I have been looking for months and months for a missing sugar canister from a set of unmarked blue gumnut/gumleaves canisters variously attributed to Melrose, Diana and Bakewells. 

I keep telling myself be patient and one day..... 

Anyway I think it is worthwhile to just keep an eye on what gets listed and you never know  when one will come up.

cheers

Rae

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

darsha84
Community Member

Oh I had a feeling that would be the case ๐Ÿ˜ž 

My husband and I saw them a couple of months ago in an antiques store in coffs harbour, we actually walked away thinking they were pretty expensive for some ceramic canisters ๐Ÿ™‚ not knowing too much about them. So we carried on home to Brisbane. But we both couldn't stop thinking about them and relented and sent my mum off to get them. It's only know I realise how truly wonderful they are! 

Anyway, I appreciate you taking thetime to reply to me! 

Good luck in your search for a sugar canister! Just incase you're interested I did see a full set of blue gumnut canisters at a local shop the other day for $385. Well at least I'm sure they were gumnut ones!

Thanks 

Shari

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Don't give up too soon Shari.  They are out there somewhere. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Completed listings :  Rare BAKEWELLS Large FLOUR Canister Kitchenalia

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

acain90
Community Member

Hi!

I was wondering if you could tell me how much you purchased the set for? My grandmother just gave me a full set (she wanted us to just throw them out!) One of the lids is broken but otherwise they are in fairly good condition. It's really hard to gauge a valuation on these items unless you're really involved in the scene. At this point I'll be contacting the National museum of Australian pottery I think. Unless I try selling them on Ebay.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

This is just a personal opinion and others may disagree. First I assume you have a set of 5 Bakewell's Beulah canisters in yellow. When you say fairly good condition (apart from one broken lid) do you mean no chips or cracks - no major discoloured crazing?

Recent real life auction sales of sets that I could find was a set of 4 only (one damaged) late 2015 for $100. Set of 5 green 2 years ago $100 - described as damaged. I was at that sale and I think most of them were chipped. Set of 5 blue 5 years ago $100 - no condition report given so I would assume reasonable to good condition.

Although personally I think these are very attractive, they are the sort of thing that has in my opinion dropped in value over the past years. Kitchenalia generally is not as strong as it was - unless you are talking of a dedicated Australian pottery collector; modern kitchens are not geared to this sort of decorative item. They take up a lot of space so are not that easy to display. Yellow may be a popular colour - they also come in green, pale blue and white to my knowledge. Retro kitchen canisters seems to be more popular now with Nylex and Gay Ware plastics, even tin ware. Enamel canisters are a fraction of the price they were 10 years ago.

For eBay sale

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/bakewells-canisters-vintage-/252252694128?hash=item3abb6ea670:g:61oAAOSwn...

set of 4 only in green with one missing lid. $120. They would not be an easy thing to sell on eBay if you need to post them - it would be a large and heavy parcel. If I saw a set of 5 in good condition at a real life auction for under $120 I would buy them but I would not be trying to sell them on eBay. If I were I would probably start them at $250 and then come down. That would be for a set in good to very good condition. Good luck whatever you decide - what about keeping them yourself?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I currently have a set of 5 canisters

Description
Kitchen canisters, set of 5, earthenware, aqua glaze, art deco design, Beulah Ware, Bakewell Bros Ltd, Erskineville, Sydney, Australia, 1930's (OF).

I am wishing to sell them and I am not sure the value or best way to do this. Any suggestions from this site would be appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I can't really improve on what I wrote a few months ago. Aqua (pale blue) is a quite desirable colourway - condition is paramount as these are often found chipped, cracked or crazed.

If they are very good condition, and you have a favourite real life local auctioneer you might like to place them there. Really there is not that much difference in the fees you pay in seller's fees to an auctioneer and to eBay and PayPal, especially when you factor in the inconvenience of having to post or have pick-up on large and fragile items like these. Australian ceramics, especially kitchen items like these are not as popular as they once were - I would be guessing $150-$220  at a real life auction, if I were listing on eBay I would start at $250 and be prepared to drop my price.

Theodore Bruce Auctions (Sydney) have a set of 5 in yellow coming up in their October sale - you may like to wait and see what they bring (estimate $100-200)

http://www.findlotsonline.com/auction-lot-details/632144/

Good luck.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Sorry - just realised that lot above was in Theodore Bruce's October auction - realised  $180

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-set-of-five-australian-art-deco-bakewells-beul-328-c-3d0474f...

We were away for all Sep  / Oct and so missed the sale. I am having difficulty remembering this is actually November Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Iโ€™m fortunate to have full set of 5 plus matching jug in green in good Condition.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply