able to identify asian item ?

I know these aren't valuable i.e. vintage but I'm curious what they are...

re the smaller black block in a box, when I used a chinese translating app on the iphone I got words re light and millenium, suspecting the small black item is chinese... any idea ?  I was told it was likely japanese charcoal but I doubt it.  the other is japanese calligraphy brush set (pretty sure its japanese)

I'm asking about the top black block with chinese? characters at the top of the photo.  thank you

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It's all Chinese.

The brushes has the manufacturer and brand name.

The ink block writes - This ink will last for 1000 years, just add water to use.

They are not particularly old.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

interesting.  well done.  I thought the brushes were japanese!  so what is the manufacturer....since I am unable to translate it?  how many languages can you speak?  thank you

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Japanese also do calligraphy but these are Chinese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_calligraphy

I speak English, Danish, some French, Japanese and a little German. (We travelled and lived in other countries)

But I only read basic Japanese characters not the Chinese characters. (Kanji) A Chinese friend nearby translates for me.

I shall see if he can see it well enough from my photo of the computer screen and let you know the manufacturer.

image host
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Ok, it is as follows.

Nan Tian Yi Zhu  which means biggest pillar in the South. In other words it's probably meant as "the best brushes in the South".

Next is Zhong Guo which is CHINA.

Then the manufacturer which is Zhu Xiang Luo.

image host
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply