continuous retractions after high bids

Could anyone please advise on what can be done in the case of a bidder putting in high bids but when they go to the winning spot RETRACT their bid and put in a lower bid just behind the leader. It appears as if they are trying to inflate prices, which is okay for the Seller but not fair for a Buyer. one particular person has had 320 retractions in the last 6 months.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: continuous retractions after high bids

Hi siddieswans,

Thank you kindly, fixed my problem.

NB: For a Sydney follower, you are very Intelligent and know your way around the "ebay" board very well. (No offence intended)

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Report to Ebay as this is shill bidding and they will probably be removed as this has happened to me on several occasions.

Regards Graeme

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Thank you for your suggestion, however I have not only reported it to ebay on many occasions, as like yourself, I have had so many retract, not pay, "string me along for weeks with GRAND promises" etc.

ebay's response has been too soft on the Buyers albeit ebay claim they have strict Rules and Policy. I have even made Telephone Calls to ebay (about 6) and discuss the problem (for up to an hour on one occasion,) but they do nothing about it.

At times ebay almost tend to turn it around and put me at fault as they do not appear tp totally understand the problem. The Hierarchy make the Rules, no doubt in conjunction with their Legal Team, However when you complain, you get to speak with someone in the Phillipines. ( I was told via one of their Supervisors that there is no longer a Representative in Australia and Asia - Pacific is now 'Headed Up' by a Body in the Phillipines)

Now, I don't have a problem with that, however, either they are not totally familiar with the Rules or not Trained properly or just do not translate the concept as it is supposed to be, or lose something in the translation.  Whatever, they don't do anything to the Buyer, just make it harder for the Seller.

This was the reason for putting my problem to you guys out there with a similar problem.

I have just about given up and just "wear it".  Unless someone can come up with a solution.

NB: In respect to trying to "Block Buyers" under certain criteria etc, it backfired on me to the point of not one Buyer could get to Bid on my Goods. Buyers of whom were concerned with the varied messages they were getting, contacted me to get an EXEMPTION - I spent the last 2 week-ends on the Internet re emails and fixing up Individual Buyer problems and in turn, lost a lot of Business. Again, ebay did not appear to be concerned and put the "fault" back on me.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Hi, I have had bidders in the past bid high on some of my lots and then immediately retract their bid. I suspect the tactic is to find out the level of a current highest bid, they then may set a snipe bid to beat this, if they think it is worth bidding on, possibly using a different ebay ID. Annoying to the seller, unfair to the highest bidder and generally unethical. Like the poster when I have had this happen one finds they have some hundreds of bid retractions, which one would have thought should raise a few flags with ebay. And for tiny things that don't matter they can jump on you and mae you feel like some sort of criminal almost LOL.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Hi and thank you for your thoughts. I agree with you totally, however ebay do not tend to want to interfere and my guess is the almighty Dollar - why would they want to upset that.

One member in particular has an average of 2 RETRACTIONS per Day, how can that happen with ebay's so called "Strict Rules"!!

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply