green trough like Melrose

I found this green trough, the glaze is similar to Melrose, the size is smaller than other troughs I have seen

, and as far as I know, Melrose did not number their wares and the base doesn't look like a Melrose piece. 

I can't tell if it is handbuilt - how do I do this?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It's hard to say if it is hand built. It looks like it has come out of a mould even though it slumped a bit in the kiln. The glaze could have been used by a number of potteries and is not unique to Melrose. It could even be a very early Diana piece from the base...but I don't think so,

Pip

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

i keep thinking its bendigo. they used impressed numbers, hand gouged numbers and at times nothing at all.  but its just a guess.:-)

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies.  There is a completed listing for a shelmar gum leaf vase which has a near identical glaze. Also has incised numbers. Is Shelmar mentioned in Dorothy Hall's book? I remember reading somewhere that Shelmar used a similar but rougher glaze than Melrose. 

does anyone know what happened to the Melrose moulds? I came across a vase today which was a Melrose shape but had a white grainy finish and not the weight. . Not the first time I've seen one. 

Barb

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply