i have an 1877: (semi colon) HALF PENNY UK and would like some info on this variety

i have an 1877 half penny VARIETY from uk with a SEMI COLON after the date and would like to know if anyone has come across this and what its value may be. i have searched this and come up with no results. any help would be great.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: i have an 1877: (semi colon) HALF PENNY UK and would like some info on this variety

Intriguing.

I don't have 1877 in my casual English collection so can't compare.

Coincraft's standard catalogue doesn't mention this variety.

A dead end at this stage?

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Re: i have an 1877: (semi colon) HALF PENNY UK and would like some info on this variety

thanks for the reply. it is a strange one for sure. i shall keep searching...

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

There's all kinds of corrosion happening on this coin. So if the variety is previously unattributed, I'd therefore be very reluctant to attribute it as an undiscovered variety based on this coin. Subsurface corrosion bubbles can look just like these "dots".

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I know nothing about coins but I do know a bit about English. What you are refering to is a full colon, not a semi. Perhaps this might help in your search.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply